John Ettline never had children of his own; yet, as every Dell rat knows, John would have made a great father.
In winter, John always made sure the barn was warm enough by keeping a blaze going in the fireplace.
If you had car problems when it was time to leave, John was the go-to guy for help.
Windshield needed scraping?
Car buried in the snow?
Your heap wouldn't start, Bunky?
Locked your keys inside your car, genius?
Mr. Ettline was
Problems at home? John was always willing to dispense wisdom.
John Ettline was like a dad to us all!
Things to know and remember about John:
* John always looked out for the welfare of his family.
* John lived at the YMCA for a period of time with his brother George.
* John had a profound love of horses. He once owned a rare WWII era photograph of Hitler, Mussolini, and some high ranking officers enjoying the company of women. John traded that vintage photo for a picture of a beautiful horse.
* John possessed a photographic memory. He could always match a face with a name.
* John always had his nose in a newspaper. he knew a lot about a lot of things. He was extremely knowledgeable about current events, city, state and local politics, history, and sports.
* John sponsored a number of baseball teams in the York area, providing them with T-shirts.
* John relished the role of host. He loved to entertain, make people feel right at home, and show them a good time. He got a kick out of seeing kids having fun in a setting of his own creation, the Shady Dell.
* John's quiet manner commanded respect. He was loved by family, friends and all of the kids who attended the Dell!
Please play this clip as we honor John Ettline...every Dell rat's dad!
Happy Father's Day, John!
We love you and miss you!
I'm The Moron Who Dances
1 hour ago