CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Friday, September 18, 2009

200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell Part 20 (#10 to #1)

My fellow Dell rats, it has taken more than a year but it is finally time to conclude my 20-part countdown of the
200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell.





It's time to present the cream of the crop...

the best of the best...

the true
heavyweight sluggers
of the Dell lineup...

the elite
Shady Dell Top 10!





Each of these songs is 100% pure adrenaline, capable of producing chills and fever in any true blue Dell rat.

Each of these songs is certified Dell gold!

Before I proceed with the final countdown, I will as always tease you with a sampling of the lyrics.
This is your last chance to ace a quiz and bump up your G.P.A.

Examine the clues and
name those tunes!

I ain’t no saint
No complaints

Please don’t tease me like you did before

I heard a cryin' man,
is half a man

On their faces they don’t wear a smirk

I never had much goin’
but at least I had you

You can’t make it alone

He’s lost in the wilderness

I’ve got to face this thing all alone

Now it’s my turn to pay some dues

We have time
(lots of time)
Everything’s alright

(end of clues)

Remember the grading scale:

All 10 right – Congratulations! You’ve been appointed dean of the College of Musical Knowledge

7-9 right – Licensed lyric lover

4-6 right - Lyrically challenged

1-3 right – Sign up for remedial classes at the School of Rock

0 right – You just dance and hum along!


Now at last, here they are...

the giants of the jukebox...

the most popular and most heavily played
Dell songs of the mid 60s.

Submitted for your approval...
the 10 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell:

10. "It's My Life" - Animals (November '65)




9. "Hello Stranger" - Capitols (April '66)



8. "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" - Temptations (June '66)



7. "Cool Jerk" - Capitols (April '66)



6. "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration" - Righteous Brothers (March '66)



5. "No Man is an Island" - Van Dykes (March '66)



4. "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" - James Brown (May '66)



3. "Peace of Mind" - Magnificent Men (January '66)



2. "Everybody's Gotta Lose Someday" - Del-Chords aka Del-Cords (December '64)





1. "Close Your Eyes" - Five Keys (March '55)



And there you have it...
the 10 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell during the mid 60s!

Wait a minute!
I hear some mumbling and grumbling out there.

You say you don't agree with my Top 10, Sparky? Wondering why "I'm Too Sexy for My Shirt" ain't on the list, Skippy? Where's "That Mule, Old Rivers and Me"? Is that what you're asking, Spanky? You think "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" should be right up there, Timmy? Well last call for alcohol, Nancy boy! Send me your own list!
Don't make me beg! Better yet.....go have a cookie!

That untoward outburst will be stricken from the record and the jury will kindly disregard. What Mr. Warmth meant to ask is this.

Do you have a Shady Dell Top Tunes list of your own that you would like to share? I'd love to see it, especially if it covers a different period of Dell history. It doesn't have to contain 200 songs; even a Top 10 would be interesting and instructive. Submit your Dell's Greatest Hits list in the form of a comment and I'll get it posted.

Have a Shady day!

6 comments:

  1. You asked for it. Definetly a different era.
    10. Hey You - Imaginations
    9. Coney Island Baby - Excellents
    8. What is a Kiss - Jive Five
    7. Ooh Baby Baby - Smokey & Miracles
    6. I Don't Mind - James Brown
    5. Time is On My Side - Stones
    4. Maybe Maybe Baby - Mag Men
    3. Deserie - Charts
    2. Close Your Eyes - Five Keys
    1. Human - Tommy Hunt

    However, I have the 45 for all of your top ten except Its A Mans World and for the first time I got an A on the lyrics.

    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see Sheb Wooley's "Purple People Eater" in there, Jerre. What gives? (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Purple People Eater, but how about a killer B from the Jive Five called "People From Another World". You must listen to it if you are not familar with the song.
    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cool! Brings to mind "Young Blood" by the Coasters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerre,
    "People From Another World" was a great B-side for "Never Never" which I think was as good as "What Time Is It" and "My True Story". "What Is A Kiss" I'm not familiar with. Was that on their later UA recordings, and what was it coupled with?

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Ron!

    The actual song title is "Kiss, Kiss, Kiss" which is the killer bee on the "I'm a Happy Man" single. According to Jerre, the phrase "What is a kiss" is found in the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?