CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

On the Record: Standing in the Shadows of Knight!

In March of 1966 the Shadows Of Knight crept into the barn and brought with them another legendary Shady Dell two-sider.

Side A was a steamy cover of Van Morrison’s "Gloria."

The Dell crowd, especially the guys, loved the song’s refreshing new garage punk sound and bold, racy, hot blooded theme.



“Gloria” was a Dell smash and played heavily throughout the spring and into summer.

We all know "Gloria" by heart; but now, let's take a walk on the "Dark Side," shall we?

This killer bee is a bluesy, downbeat number with heavy guitar distortion, a combo of ingredients that also appealed mainly to the Dell’s male contingent. "Dark Side" is the last track on this YouTube four-song S.O.K. block party. Caution: this is not your father’s slow jam!



Two-and-a-half years after their blockbuster "Gloria," the Shadows of Knight (no relation) made a comeback of sorts with two more excellent garage rock sides.

The A side, "Shake," managed to break into the top 50 on Billboard. The killer bee, a psychedelic workout called "From Way Out To Way Under," failed to chart but took quite a few spins on my turntable.

Watch and listen as the garagers get their freakbeat on with "Shake" (October/November '68), a rocker that borrows a riff from "Ain't Nothin' but a House Party," the hit song by the Show Stoppers that charted a few months earlier.



Three years after ‘Gloria,” the SOK scored a TKO with the release of “Gloria ’69,” an updated, psychedelicized version of their top 10 hit.

"Gloria '69" is nothing more than the original version of "Gloria" with heavy, psyched-out fuzz guitar added to the mix. The new guitar riffs remind me of Hendrix and Cream. They are also quite similar to the licks found on J.J. Cale’s "Cocaine," a song that became a Clapton classic. Although "Gloria ’69" was a flop in terms of record sales and didn’t even register on Billboard’s Bubbling Under chart, the song was played often enough on the radio to get me hooked. Click past the flip side "Spaniard at my Door" if you wish and have a listen to "Gloria '69."



SOK-it-to-me! They say there's a sucker born every minute and I'm no exception. SDK's SOK Pick to Click is: "she ain't lyin', she ain't lyin', she ain't lyin'- "Gloria Sixty-nyin"

I liked the psych version back then and I still like it now. Unlike some, I don't have a problem with the band slathering a fresh coat of day-glo paint on an old favorite.

There was a down side. While I was eager to stay current and tuned-in to the new sounds evolving on the late 60s music scene, I was conflicted - reluctant to let go of the music that had meant so much to me - traditional sweet soul and silly love songs.

"Gloria ‘69" reminds us that by the end of the 1960s the mainstream popularity of psychedelia, acid rock, hard rock and heavy metal had driven many established artists to reinvent themselves by toughening their image and putting a harder edge on their music. Some artists were able to make the transition, but many others could not or were not willing to make the adjustment. As a result, many old school acts dropped off the radar screen and the record chart. By 1969 I knew that popular music would never again be quite as wonderful as it once was. At the age of nineteen I was already waxing nostalgic and embracing the oldies revival.

Have a Shady day!

Jimy Sohns said...
Hey Shady, you`ve done a nice job with our Shadows stuff and I thank you. Please check out my trio: rocknrollsideshow.com We have some new material. Let me know if you`d like to hear it.

March 18, 2010 2:03 PM

Shady Del Knight said...
Jimy, it's a thrill and an honor to have you pay us a visit and submit a comment. I love your site and I'm happy to know that you're still on the cutting edge of the music scene. Thank you very much for the music and memories and for "autographing" your outstanding work by writing in response to my SOK tribute.

March 18, 2010 3:52 PM

Bob Adams said...
Hi Shady. Got to your site by way of Jimy Sohns facebook wall. Very well done and a great tribute to an awesome garage band. Jimy is playing all over the Chicago area this year and if anyone has the chance to go see him....go see him. He is a true one of a kind wonder. Keep rockin.....

March 27, 2010 6:59 PM

Shady Del Knight said...
Hi, Bob! Thanks for letting us know that Jimy is currently rocking the Windy City. I am also delighted to know that there's a link to Shady Dell Music & Memories on Jimy's wall. SOK it to me! Thank you very much for your comment.

March 27, 2010 7:25 PM

4 comments:

  1. Hey Shady, you`ve done a nice job with our Shadows stuff and I thank you, If you ever feel like talking, give me a call...Jimy Sohns 239-821-5534 Please check out my trio: rocknrollsideshow.com We have some new material. Let me know if you`d like to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimy, it's a thrill and an honor to have you pay us a visit and submit a comment. I love your site and I'm happy to know that you're still on the cutting edge of the music scene. Thank you very much for the music and memories and for "autographing" your outstanding work by writing in response to my SOK tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shady. Got to your site by way of Jimy Sohns facebook wall. Very well done and a great tribute to an awesome garage band. Jimy is playing all over the Chicago area this year and if anyone has the chance to go see him....go see him. He is a true one of a kind wonder. Keep rockin.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Bob! Thanks for letting us know that Jimy is currently rocking the Windy City. I am also delighted to know that there's a link to Shady Dell Music & Memories on Jimy's wall. SOK it to me! Thank you very much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?