CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Forget the Dean's List.................. We Got Ron's List!

In 2008 and 2009 I counted down The 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell, the songs that I perceived as having had the greatest impact at the Dell during the mid 1960s.


Shady Del Knight's
Dell Top 10


My list culminated in
the final countdown of
The Shady Dell Top 10
(December 1965 thru September 1967)


10. "It's My Life" - Animals (November '65)
9. "Hello Stranger" - Capitols (April '66)
8. "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" - Temptations (June '66)
7. "Cool Jerk" - Capitols (April '66)
6. "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration" - Righteous Brothers (March '66)
5. "No Man is an Island" - Van Dykes (March '66)
4. "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" - James Brown (May '66)
3. "Peace of Mind" - Magnificent Men (January ’66)
2. "Everybody's Gotta Lose Someday" - Del-Chords aka
Del-Cords (December '64)
1. "Close Your Eyes" - Five Keys (March '55)

Jerre Slaybaugh's
Dell Top 10


My Dell songs list was
soon followed by one from
Dell Rat Jerre who
attended the Dell
from the late 50s
through the mid 60s.


These were the most memorable songs from
Jerre's Dell years:

10. "Hey You" - Imaginations (1961)
9. "Coney Island Baby" - Excellents (December 1962)
8. "Kiss, Kiss, Kiss" - Jive Five (August 1965)
7. "Ooo Baby Baby" - Smokey & the Miracles (May 1965)
6. "I Don't Mind" - James Brown (June 1961)
5. "Time is On My Side" - Rolling Stones (December 1964)
4. "Maybe, Maybe, Baby" - Magnificent Men (Sept. 1966)
3. "Deserie" - Charts (July 1957)
2. "Close Your Eyes" - Five Keys (March 1955)
1. "Human" - Tommy Hunt (October 1961)

Dell Rat Ron's Dell Top 20



Now it's our
good friend
Dell Rat Ron's
turn to post a
Dell Top Tunes
countdown.
Ron predates me
as a Dell rat
because he started
going there
in 1963
at age 14.
Ron's Dell years
overlap Jerre's
and mine.


"I couldn't cut my list down to 10," admits Ron. "These were all very important songs which I enjoyed many times during the years I attended the University of Shady Dell."

20. "Chug-A-Lug" - Roger Miller (October 1964)

19. "Those Were the Days" - Mary Hopkin (November 1968)

18. "A Girl Named Sandoz"/"When I Was Young" - Eric Burdon & the Animals (April 1967)

17. "What Now" - Gene Chandler (January 1965)

16. "Going to a Go-Go"/"Choosey Beggar" - The Miracles (February 1966)

15. "I'm So Proud"/"I Made a Mistake" - The Impressions (May 1964)

14. "Don't Look Back"/"My Baby" - The Temptations (December 1965/November 1965)

13. "Wooly Bully" - Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs
(June 1965)

12. "Ruby Tuesday"/"Let's Spend the Night Together"
- The Rolling Stones (February 1967)

11. "My Girl Sloopy" - The Vibrations (April 1964)

10. "The Way You Do the Things You Do"/"Just Let Me Know" - The Temptations (April 1964)

9. "A Quiet Place (Johnny Dollar)"/"One Girl" - Garnet Mimms
(July 1964/May 1964)

(flip side shown)
8. "A Girl to Love" - Rosco Gordon (September 1962)

7. "Get Off of My Cloud" - The Rolling Stones
(November 1965)

6. "I'll Be In Trouble"/"The Girl's Alright With Me"
- The Temptations (June 1964)

5. "Peace of Mind"/"All Your Lovin's Gone to My Head"
- The Magnifcent Men (December 1965)

4. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix"/"Tired of Pushing"
- The Magnificent Men (March 1968)

3. "Everybody's Gotta Lose Someday"/"Your Mommy Lied to Your Daddy" - The Del-Chords (December 1964)

2. "Close Your Eyes" - The Five Keys (March 1955)

1. "Island of Love" - The Sheppards (August 1959)

Thanks for a wonderful Dell top tunes list, Ron!

One thing becomes clear when you compare Ron's Dell songs list with Jerre's and mine. We all have our own individual set of filters. Each of us experienced the Dell in our own unique way. A certain song that played on the Dell jukebox might have resonated with you. You became anchored to it for life. While that particular song seemed huge to you, it might have made little or no impression on somebody else. It's a valuable life lesson...one that applies not only to music and the Dell but to all of our experiences. Different strokes.....

The only Dell classic that appears on all three of our lists is "Close Your Eyes" by the Five Keys. I ranked it #1 and refer to it as the mother of all Dell songs! Jerre and Ron both ranked it #2. Ron explained why he picked "Island of Love" by the Sheppards as his #1.

"You know, both it and "Close Your Eyes" were the most representative songs throughout the years at the Dell," Ron wrote, "but I had to give a slight edge (to 'Island of Love') for one reason. The most commonly heard song whenever I was walking across the patio, and headed to the barn---whether I had just entered the Dell, or was coming out of the restaurant---was 'Island of Love.' Even if I was leaving for the night, or standing on the patio. I like both of the songs equally, but The Sheppards' song always said 'welcome to the Dell, Ron' or 'have a good night, Ron.'"

I always got that familiar "welcome back" feeling when
"Hello Stranger" played, Ron.

How about you, friend?

Yeah you...the guy in the Woody Woodpecker pajamas pouring PBR on his Froot Loops. For the love of Pete, man, it's three in the afternoon, dontcha think it's time to get dressed? Why don't you do what Dell Rat Ron and Dell Rat Jerre did? If you have a Shady Dell Top Tunes list of your own then please share it. I'd love to see it. It doesn't have to be 100 or 200 songs - even a Top 10 would be interesting and instructive. Submit your Dell's Greatest Hits list in the form of a comment and I'll get it posted.

Have a Shady day!

2 comments:

  1. Tell Ron I also really liked his Number 1 and had almost forgotten "A Girl To Love," another of my favorites. You are correct that everyone has their own special memories and songs to go with them. It is amazing that "Close Your Eyes" is always on top of the lists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be even more amazing if "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips" was atop all lists! Thanks for your comment, Jerre!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?