CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Terrible Twos are Underway as Shady Dell Music & Memories Marks its Second Anniversary!

That's right! Another year has passed and our Shady Dell blog is two years old today! Time to start potty training!

As we celebrate two exciting years together and prepare to journey out on the new horizon where year three awaits, let's pause for a brief history lesson. Let's travel back in time to the fall of 1965 and see how yours truly became obsessed with the Dell in the first place. Behold the bizarre chain of events that inspired Shady Del Knight to become a Shady Dell knight.

I can remember it like it was only yesterday...............

(please insert your own eerie music here, folks)

Submitted for your approval - one Mr. Delmore Z. Knight (don't ask)...

....an average teenager happily playing with his Lionel.
(As you can see in the foreground, he also happens to own a model train set.) Young Mr. Knight might be an ordinary adolescent, but he is about to have a close encounter of the extraordinary kind. Mr. Knight is about to enter...

Damn! Why does mom make me eat mashed potatoes?
I hate 'em!

Problem is, I can't leave the dinner table and skip rope with the guys until I clean my plate. Oh, well...if I can just get through the spuds...the rest is gravy hee-hee!

Hey, wait a minute! (insert more eerie music here, folks) These potatoes remind me of something. Let me just take my fork and carve away a little here...and a little here...
and a little......

This is driving me nuts! I know this means something!
This means something!

It means there's something a little "strange" with Del!
(insert more eerie music here, folks)

Fiddlesticks! I'm getting close but I still don’t have it exactly right! I think Teddy Roosevelt had a mustache.

That damn blob of clay can wait. Doug and Julie are on their honeymoon and she says she wants sausage for breakfast. Here comes the phat part! Must see TV is born!

Hello, is this Carlo's? I'd like two large pepperoni pies with anchovies and extra cheese, five bags of Bickel's Honey
Bar-B-Que chips and three packs of Hostess Sno Balls. Wait! Hold the phone!!! Nooooooooooooooo! Not a crappy news bulletin at a time like this!!! I hate you Howard K. Smith! What’s that you're saying? Authorities are warning parents to keep their kids away from a dangerous place called the Shady Dell?

Now a news chopper’s giving us a shot of the place.
OMG! - that’s it! THAT'S IT!!!

Dangerous? The Dell? I smell a conspiracy. The guardians of our morals are at it again. I'm going to the Dell and find out for myself.

Snap! The cops have Starcross blocked off at both ends.
I’ll have to go on foot. It's a steep climb up Violet Hill from George Street over rugged terrain but I'm gonna get there somehow...

'cause my mind's made up and I'm glory bound.
Ain’t no use...nobody’s gonna turn me around...no...no!


There it is! Right on top of Violet Hill...the Shady Dell!
That must be the Dell! Awesome!

I can see the colored lights and I can hear the music.
Sounds like the gang's got Dave "Baby" Cortez on the jukebox! I'm there, dude!

No way!!!
The rat pack sent a welcoming committee to greet me!

Hey guys, what be happenin'? I come in friendship!
Klaatu barada nikto and all that good stuff!

(insert more eerie music here, folks)

Is the sound of distant drumming
Just the fingers of your hand?

Pictures hanging in a hallway
And the fragment of a song.

Half-remembered names and faces...

but to whom do they belong?

Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
Past the minutes of its face
And the world is like an apple
Whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind
And the serenity that will forever be ours
in an ethereal never-never land we like to call...

Again this year I would like to thank my friends, my fellow Dell rats, and all of the kind readers of this blog for their loyal support.

Each one of you is important to me and greatly appreciated! There's much more ahead and I invite you to join me.

Year three starts...........right.............NOW!!!

Have a Shady Day!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for all your hard work and time put into this blog over two years. You have brought back many memories. I even enjoy when you insert song lyrics into the text. I will just keep on reading.
    Ain’t no use...nobody’s gonna turn me around...
    I wonder how many of these I have missed.
    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the kind words, Jerre! Over the last two years you have contributed a wealth of information and many interesting anecdotes to the blog. SDM&M wouldn't have been the same without your generous input. I hope that you will stick around and tiptoe thru the tulips with me as we begin year number three! (Brain buster: try to find the embedded song lyrics in that paragraph!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I will just have to stick around and smell the tulips for another year. Finding embedded song lyrics is like looking for a ruby in a mountain of rocks. You can't make a living at it, but I don't mind because once in awhile you find diamonds and pearls.

    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about finding diamonds and pearls, but if you close your eyes while you navigate this blog, you can sure reminisce a lot of good times, foxy ladies, partners in intrigue, John and Helen, good food and pinball, and, of course, runs to the Trail for booze. We can't go back, but we can come and get these memories. Thanks, Shady. And to all those missed faces, I wish you peace of mind. Hello to Dave, Buddy, etc. and those keeping the music alive. I've said enough.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind comments, Rat Ron! I believe to my soul, good buddy, that you cleverly concealed a song title or two in the message. What now? Give me just a little more time to consult my Joel Whitburn bible and I'll come running back to you with more, more more. Nothing can stop me! Till then, this I swear is true. If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life you must follow the ten commandments of love. Rule #1: No parking on the dance floor, Freak-A-Zoid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No not again. Finding titles and lyrics! It's your thing, you started a new fad. To make a long story short, this could be fun, fun, fun. Jerre

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerre, I've just gotta get a message to you. I admit it - I started a joke. Please forgive all my jive talkin'...it's only words and words are all I have, but at least I'm stayin' alive! Signed: B.G.

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?