CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ..... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Kevin McCarthyism aka I'd Walk a Camel for Miles (Part 2)

Previously on Snooze U Lose.....Dr. Miles Bennell and
his true love Becky Driscoll were holed up in Miles' office

in beautiful downtown Santa Mira..... a tranquil California community where everything's just peachy keen all the time - kinda like Amity Island!

Only everything isn't peachy keen...not by a long shot!



Slowly but surely, invaders from another planet (I'm thinking Pluto) are replacing townies with robotic, look-alike imposters. The insidious transformation takes place while the humans sleep.



Pinned down in a closet, Miles and Becky
devised an ingenious plan to avoid capture.

They must convince the aliens that they have already undergone "the change." To do this, they must walk, talk, and act like zombies, exhibiting no emotion whatsoever.

Miles: When we hit the street keep a blank expression on your face. Show no interest or excitement.

Becky: I'll just think back to our last romantic interlude.
Well, here goes nothing. Are you sure you can pull this off?
Becky: Believe me, Miles, I know how to fake it.

Miles: Hi……..Sam……..How’s……. the…… wife…..and…… kids? How 'bout dem Rams? Sorry Becky and I were such a pain in the butt a while ago. We were both a little cranky from lack of sleep. That little nap we took sure helped. Yessir, I slept like a log…Becky, too. (yawns) Oh my...still a little drowsy.
I feel like a bear fresh outta hibernation. Where am I going with all this? Becky and I want you to know that we’re "with" you now, Sam. We’re "with" you all the way. You were right. Life is so simple now that we've shed the cumbersome shackles of our humanity. Who needs all that icky human stuff? Not us! There's no need for love. No need for desire. No need for ambition. No need for faith. No need for happiness. No need for sadness. No need for pleasure.
No need for pain. No need for joy. No need for sorrow.
No need for Glee...

Becky: ALRIGHT, Miles - ENOUGH already! Let's AMSCRAY!

Dammit, Becky, what the hell was that!
Becky: I’m sorry. I couldn’t help screaming when I saw that little doggie run in front of that truck.

Yeah, well you just threw US under the bus, gf!
RUN LIKE HELL!


Becky: I can't do it, I can't, can't, can't go on.
Miles: Yes you CAN CAN! If we can just make it to that cave up ahead we can hide from the pod peeps.

Becky: I can’t take another step. I’m too tired.
Miles: Just a little farther, Becky. That galactic goon squad will be here in a few seconds. We need to find a place to hide until nightfall. We can use the cover of darkness to escape over the mountain and reach the highway leading out of town.

Here they come! Let’s hide down here under these floor boards in this wet, filthy, smelly, yucky, gross, disgusting, rat infested sink hole. Yeah, that’s the ticket!
Becky: GHEEZ, great idea, Miles! If my skirt gets wrinkled, you're gonna hear about it, mister!

The alien lynch mob searches the cave, finds nothing,
and vacates the premises. Darkness falls across the land.
The midnight hour is close at hand.



When Miles and Becky hear heavenly music off in the distance, Miles leaves his sweetheart behind for a few minutes to investigate. Surely, Miles reasons, music so beautiful, so gentle,
so comforting must be emanating from an oasis
of human life.

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Instead, the music is coming from
a radio on a truck loaded with alien seed pods!

Miles: Curses! Turns out I was listening to a pod cast!
POD cast, get it? Hee hee hee hee hee!


Miles rushes back to the cave where he finds Becky lying on the floor with her eyes closed. Praying that it's not too late, Miles scoops Becky into his arms and carries her outside the cave where he hopes the invigorating night air will revive her.

Put on a few pounds since high school, did we?


Miles tries to awaken the love of his life with a kiss. In an instant, Becky’s cold, cadaverous lips let Miles know the terrible truth...that indeed he is too late!

Stunned and sickened, Miles pulls away from what was once Becky...a reincarnated podette whose lifeless gaze is every bit as icy as her kiss.

Miles: Oh, Becky, I should never have left you alone. My bad.

Becky: Ya think?

Becky, now one of “them,” calls out to the pod squad, imploring them to hurry to the mouth of the cave and apprehend Miles before he can escape.

Miles: I’d been afraid a lot of times in my life…but I didn’t know the real meaning of fear until…until I kissed Becky!
A moment’s sleep and the girl I loved was an inhuman enemy bent on my destruction! And her BREATH..........
Don't get me started!


And so I ran. I ran, I ran, I ran! I ran as little Jimmy Grimaldi ran the other day…

A nearly hysterical Miles Bennell finally reaches the highway where he frantically tries to flag down motorists and warn them of the impending alien invasion.

STOP! WAIT! LISTEN! LISTEN TO ME!
DANGER DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!


There’s seed pods, thousands of them...
BIG GREEN SEED POD THINGYS AND
THEY'RE COMING TO GET YOU, BARBRA!
YOU GOTTA LISTEN TO ME!

Driver: Ahh, you're drunk! Get outta here!
Miles: Okay I'll go, but can I at least bum a smoke?

CAN'T YOU SEE EVERYONE - THEY'RE HERE ALREADY!
YOU'RE NEXT!!! YOU'RE NEXT!!!




The consensus among film historians is that Invasion of the Body Snatchers was a Cold War era metaphor for the spread of Communism. I have my own interpretation.

I like to think of Body Snatchers as a metaphor for old age.
I am not talking about how old the calendar says you are.
I'm talking about how old you think you are.




Don't go to sleep, folks. Don't let old age take you over. Don't allow yourself to develop that dreaded condition known as hardening of the attitudes. Stay current.
Think young.....
act young.....
and you will
stay young.





Have a Shady day and a Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! My favorite line is, "I'll just think back to our last romantic interlude."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tuning in for the exciting climax, Belle. I'm glad you enjoyed my Mad Magazine style movie review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does she manage to look so glamorous while running from the snatchers?

    Replied back to your comment. I *was* kidding too. Silly!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those 1950's women always ran from monsters in evening gowns, hose and heels, Annah. I was hoping that you were just playing with me as well but I wasn't sure and so I spilled. Glad to know that everything is cool. Welcome to my blog! I hope you'll stop back often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by and commenting,wishing you a good halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks and same to you, Gingeyginge! I am enjoying your salute to vintage movie stars particularly those that are less well known. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. remember that movie,and i like the poster written in italian :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to compare the classic movie poster art produced in various countries. Thank you very much for your comment, Katia!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?