CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thisisme and Thisisher List of Favourites!

xxx
"In 1962/63, I was at the

local coffee bar, listening

to all these records.....


and usually sitting there all

evening with a single bottle

of Coca-Cola, in those lovely

shaped bottles." - Thisisme

My friend and loyal blog follower Thisisme lives in one of the most beautiful parts of the world, the South Hams district in the county of Devon, England.

Thisisme has access to miles of pristine coastline that comprise the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, an area dedicated since 1960 to the preservation of scenic wonders and native wildlife.

Thisisme writes about her life in this idyllic setting
and a wide variety of other entertaining, informative and inspirational subjects
in her blog entitled Southhamsdarling.

Thisisme responded to my recent post in which I listed the 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell by sharing with us her own list of song favorites. Thisisme owns a vintage 1962 jukebox and has it stocked with baby boomer classics.

"As you can imagine, being a child
of the 60's, I love it!" Thisisme
exclaimed in a recent post. "It has
one hundred old 45's on it, ranging
from Elvis to Cliff Richard, Brenda
Lee, Roy Orbison, Jim Reeves, Connie
Francis, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Buddy Holly, The Four Tops, and The
Supremes, to name but a few.


The good thing about the juke box
is that, being surrounded by fields,
I can play it as loud as I like (and
I do! Usually I'm bopping away whilst listening to the music. Nothing like
a good bop to cheer you up!!)

Here is my list of my Top Twenty
favourite hits of the early-mid
sixties, Shady, (in no particular
order)."

"I Can't Stop Loving You" by
Ray Charles (June 1962)

"She's Not You" by Elvis Presley
(August 1962)



"Poetry in Motion" by Johnny Tillotson
(December 1960)

"Cathy's Clown" by The Everly Brothers
(June 1960)



"Runaway" by Del Shannon
(May 1961)



"I Want To Hold Your Hand" by
The Beatles (February 1964)



"Take Good Care of My Baby" by
Bobby Vee (October 1961)

"Baby Love" by The Supremes
(November 1964) 
 



"In Dreams" by Roy Orbison
(March 1963)

"Needles and Pins" by The Searchers
(April 1964)



"Lipstick On Your Collar" by
Connie Francis (July 1959)
(Upload by a YouTuber in Devon, UK!)



"It's My Party" by Lesley Gore
(June 1963)


 
"Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow"
by The Shirelles (February 1961)

"He's A Rebel" by The Crystals
(November 1962)



"You Don't Have To Say You Love Me"
by Dusty Springfield (July 1966)

"Out of Time" by Chris Farlowe
(November 1966)




"Reach Out I'll Be There" by
The Four Tops (October 1966)



"Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys
(December 1966)



 "Distant Drums" by Jim Reeves
(April 1966)



"Halfway to Paradise" by Billy Fury
(May to October 1961)




Thank you very much for sending in
your fab list of Twenty Favourite Hits,
Thisisme!


When I watched that "...Hold Your Hand" video the unbridled excitement took me over and I was teleported back to the start of 1964 when the unprecedented Beatles craze began stateside. That's powerful.


Ultimately, "Out of Time" is Shady Del's Pick to Click from your list because it's stupendous yet seldom heard, but every song's a winner here and so are you, my dear friend!


Who's next?

If you have a Top Tunes list I'd love to see it.  It would be fascinating to discover which songs meant the most to you in your youth or which ones resonate now in the present. Why not do what Wanilianna, Jerre, Belle and Thisisme did? Make a list, submit it in the form of a comment and I'll get
it posted. It can be a list of your favorite songs, the most exciting songs, best songs from a particular time period similar to my mid 60's Dell survey...anything you like!




COME ON

AND BE 

MY GUEST!



Have a Shady day!

18 comments:

  1. Shady, dear friend. What can I say?! That is absolutely brilliant and thank you so much for taking the trouble to put it all together for me. I hope others will enjoy it. I am very honoured to have a whole post dedicated to the music that I love and the beautiful area in which I am fortunate to live. I shall enjoy watching all the videos and listening to my favourite tunes all in one go! I can see that you have put a lot of time into compiling it all, and I am thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post dedicated to a great lady with some of my favorite tunes. It's my party has always been a song that brings me back to days cruising the hot dog joints and having fun with a girl friend feeling free and easy. Thanks for the journey down memory lane. Have a great weekend.
    Odie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thisisme - I am thrilled to have a friend like you. Enjoy your tribute and enjoy the fine English weather you're having!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Odie - I never get tired of listening to the feel good songs of Lesley Gore. Thanks for joining me today, my friend, and have a wonderful weekend in Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a wonderful list, Thisisme. I'd forgotten how much I loved, "He's a Rebel." I always loved the Everly Brothers. They sang the greatest songs. I have to say, "It's my Party" is my favorite of all. Thanks for the trip back in time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belle - Thanks for checking out Thisisme's faves. I loved Phil & Don's ice cool rendition of Little Richard's "Lucille" but all their stuff's great. Lesley Gore just keeps growing in stature as years go by. Thanks for your comment, dear Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belle - I'm so pleased you enjoyed my choice of records!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A vintage jukebox, oh what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alabee - I always wanted to own a vintage jukebox that plays real vinyl. Modern retro style CD jukeboxes might look authentic but they can't replicate the sound. The one advantage you have with a CD megachanger is storage capacity. If a jukebox holds 100 records you can play a total of 200 different songs. With a high capacity CD changer you can store 400 discs and randomly play 12,000 or more different songs. By connecting two identical decks you can potentially shuffle play 24,000 or more different songs. Thank you for your comment, dear friend Alabee, and have a groovy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. South Hams looks like a lovely place to live. I grew up mostly in the 70's, loved Elvis, thought I knew most of his songs but I never heard, "She's Not You." Enjoyed it! I also enjoyed the 4 tops! Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, hello, ToniD! It's always nice to hear from the Dell Keeper herself! "She's Not You," the Elvis song that you mentioned, is one that I hadn't heard in many years before Thisisme included it on her list. It reached #5 on the pop chart while the flip side ""Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" made it to #55. After his #1 smash "Good Luck Charm" earlier in 1962, this single was somewhat of a disappointment for Elvis. It marked the beginning of his changing fortunes in the pop music market, a chart performance skid that lasted until he made his big comeback at the end of the decade. Thank you very much for your comment, Toni, and please take good care of our Shady Dell!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a firm believer that it is IMPOSSIBLE not to "BOP" when one is listening to the Beatles, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand!" Well done, Thisisme, not only is your taste in music exquisite, your home town is simply GORGEOUS!! Thanks so much for sharing this, and for making it all "come to life" in video, Shady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Joanie! I also noticed Thisisme's use of the word "bop," a word seldom used nowadays in the USA. The word reminded me of a movie poster that I own for the 1957 movie Bop Girl Goes Calypso starring Judy Tyler. Ironically, this again brings us back to Elvis Presley because Judy was his lovely costar in the hit movie Jailhouse Rock. Judy was on the verge of becoming a star when she was killed in a horrific car crash. Both movies were released after Judy's death and Elvis was reportedly so distraught over the tragedy that he couldn't bear to watch Jailhouse Rock. Thank you very much for your comment, Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was lovely to read all those lovely comments . I was obviously showing my age when I used the word 'bop!' as usual, Shady, you are a fount of all knowledge , with all the interesting information you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thisisme - Thank you very much, dear friend, and thank you for delighting us with your favourite oldies list! Have a restful night in scenic South Hams!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shady Dell I am loving these post's so much, its such a lovely idea and a great way to get to know fellow bloggers. Thisisme I loved your selection and you lucky thing living in Devon! My parents live near Bournemouthin Dorset but when ever we can we love to visit Devon and Cornwall it's such a beautiful part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Kelly-marie! It's always great to hear from my good friend in London town! You are right. These song list features are a great way for bloggers to get to know more about each other. The response has been terrific so far and everybody's collection of favorites is unique with almost no overlap of song titles from list to list. Thank you very much for your comment, Kelly-marie, and visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kelly-marie - I am so pleased that you liked my selection of music from the 60's and how lovely that you also live in England! Bournemouth is also a really pretty place, right near the sea and lots of lovely scenery and places around there. If ever you're down this part of the country again, do let me know and you must come in and visit!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?