CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ..... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Friday, February 25, 2011

Remembering Helen

xxx
Helen Trostle Ettline
passed away 27 years ago today on February 25th, 1984.
 

Things to know and remember about Helen:


* Helen was real people.


* Helen was genuine.

* With Helen, what you saw was what you got.

* Helen was never afraid to speak her mind.


* Helen had the warmest smile around and when she smiled there was always a twinkle in her eye.

 * Helen could not have children of her own but she loved young people and welcomed generations of them into her home and into her life.

* Every evening while Helen presided over the Dell's snack bar...

and Dell rats occupied booths and whiled away the hours feeding their faces and gabbing...

and the pinball machine near the rear door buoyed spirits with its incessant dinging and popping...

the jukebox at the end of the counter next to the ladies' room door played a steady stream of doo-wop oldies.

I chose this song because it reminds me of that very special woman, the first lady of the Shady Dell. Helen, this one's for you.



Unforgettable, Helen.

That's what you are!
 
We love you and miss you.

14 comments:

  1. Wow Shady, an awesome video for an awesome lady. Wish I could have known her and spent time around her. What a blessing that must have been. Have a great weekend my friend.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely tribute Shady!
    The pinball machine is Retro fabulous! Happy Friday to you darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post!By the way: I love this song. Have a great day dear Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute, Shady. So lovely for someone to remember Helen in this way. Beautiful song you've chosen... Bon week-end to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like yesterday that I was eating one of Helens great cheese burgers with a dill pickle on the side and some chips. Helen is right there with my mother and wife when it comes to the important ladies in my live. Will love her all ways and know I will see her again some day. A DELL RAT ALL WAYS Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greg is correct. If there is a place like the Shady Dell in heaven, Helen will be the hostess and in charge of the snack bar. I don't remember which was best, her food or her friendly conversation. Both are high on my list of Dell memories.

    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a very sweet tribute. I am stoked that you liked the mixtape. I honestly thought you would not like it since you have such a deep love for the oldies but I was wrong and I am so happy I was wrong. My mixtape was really inspired by your previous post noting that tunes that seem to "bubble under." None of the songs on my mixtape are top 100 songs but they deserve to be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful tribute to Helen. She was obviously a very special lady in a lot of peoples' lives. Love all those photos - it all looks so retro now, and I am sure that a lot of youngsters these days would love to have a place like that to go to, especially with a jukebox and pinball machine! I really enjoyed watching the video and listening to that gorgeous song as well. Thanks Shady! Hope you have a good weekend dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i forgot to add that I find a lot of new music via this site:
    http://www.thedownplayer.com/
    everyday or so they feature 10 songs that you can download for free. Its has I discovered Wye Oak

    ReplyDelete
  10. A person like Helen, who brings love and joy to others is a rare and marvelous thing in this world. She was a rose in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FABULOUS Tribute! Sounds like a lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you one and all for paying your respects to Helen today. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a loving tribute to Helen. How wonderful to be remembered in such a loving way, at the time she probably didn't realize to what extent the positive impact she was having on so many young lives.

    As I was looking at those old photos of The Shady Dell, I could see a fantastic movie, musical or even a documentary on this story!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?