CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Odie's Opuses! Odie Langley Presents a Mashup of Mellow Mid 60s Memory Makers!

xxx
Since the beginning of the year 


I have been inviting my loyal blog 


friends to be my guest and send 


me their top tunes lists.


They might be songs that you listened to on your 
local radio station or danced to at your favorite 
teen club - 10 or more songs that had the greatest 
impact on you. The response has been terrific. 
I have received more song lists than you can 
shake a stick at! 

By the way, according to answerbag.com the earliest known use in print of the expression shake a stick at, meaning too many to count, can be traced back to an
1818 issue of the Lancaster, Pennsylvania Journal which published the following:
"We have in Lancaster as many Taverns as you can shake a stick at." My fellow Dell rats, I cannot tell a lie.
I visited every single one of those watering holes back in the day, but that's a story for another time.

The latest person to answer my call for song lists is our good friend
and honorary Dell rat
Odie Langley. Odie lives in
beautiful Halifax County, North Carolina and publishes the entertaining and informative blog
The Simple Life. Odie is here as my special guest to share with you his Picks to Click from 1966 and 1967, the same two years when I was in the grip of Dellmania. You might recall that our kindred spirit Bell Unruh sent in a list covering the same mid 60s time span, only hers gave us a look at the songs that were tops in pops in Southern California at the time. 'Nuff said. It's time to find out which songs made the greatest impression on Odie in 1966 and '67.

Odie, be my guest! 

When I graduated
high school in 1965
I opted for business college so that's where
I was during 66 & 67 graduating with a diploma in senior accounting. This was also the year prior to entering the Army in
Oct of 67 and then
Viet Nam in 68. I have always liked soothing style of music as you will see.


...and then along comes Odie!

#1 "Cherish" - Association (October 1966)



#2 "Windy" - Association (July 1967)



#3 "When a Man Loves a Woman"
- Percy Sledge (May 1966)



#4 "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration"
- Righteous Brothers (April 1966)



#5 "The Ballad of the Green Berets"
- SSgt. Barry Sadler (April 1966)



#6 "Poor Side of Town" - Johnny Rivers
(November 1966)



#7 "Good Vibrations" - Beach Boys
(December 1966)



#8 "Wild Thing" - Troggs (August 1966)



#9 "Monday, Monday" -
Mamas & Papas (May 1966)



#10 "The Sounds of Silence" -
Simon & Garfunkel (January 1966)



This is a fantastic list, Odie, with several #1
gazillion sellers and two of the highest ranked
songs of my list of the 200 Greatest Hits of the
Shady Dell:
"When a Man Loves a Woman" (#29)
and "Soul and Inspiration"(#6).


Whenever I listen to "The Sounds of Silence" I visualize scenes from the 1967 movie The Graduate. My freshman year at Penn State a professor gave us an assignment to write an essay about the hit Mike Nichols directed motion picture. In a single day I sat through five continuous screenings of The Graduate at a theater in State College, taking copious notes as I watched. The story of Benjamin (Dustin Hoffman), a young college grad who rejects the plastic values of his materialistic parents and their shallow country club friends the Robinsons, captured my imagination and The Graduate became one of my all time favorites.


"Wild Thing" was another important Dell song. A few months after the Troggs song faded from the charts a comedian by the name of Bill Minkin released a version of "Wild Thing" doing a knock-out impression of Democratic U.S. Senator Robert Kennedy.

"Wild Thing" - Senator Bobby 
(January 1967) 



More than 20 years later another comedian, Sam Kinison, assembled a band of heavy metal all stars and produced a rowdy, over-the-top, hard rockin' rendition of "Wild Thing." The accompanying video, which featured a notorious church lady doing the devil's work, is one the most outrageous and politically incorrect spectacles in rock history. It's wrong on so many levels and that's why it's so much fun to watch!

"Wild Thing" (1988) - Sam Kinison with guest
stars Slash (Guns N' Roses), Steven Tyler &
Joe Perry (Aerosmith), Richie Sambora
(Bon Jovi), Tommy Lee (Motley Crue),
Billy Idol, Steve Vai (Frank Zappa Band),
Dweezil Zappa and featuring Jessica Hahn
(former PTL Club church secretary)




Thank you very much, Odie,

for sharing your music with us! 



Who's next?

If you have a Top Tunes list I'd love to see it.  It would be fascinating to discover which songs meant the most to you in your youth or which ones resonate now in the present. Why not do what Odie and others have done? Make a list, submit it in the form of a comment and I'll get it posted.
It can be a list of your favorite songs, the most exciting songs, best songs from a particular time period similar to
my mid 60's Dell survey...anything you like!



COME ON

AND BE 

MY GUEST!



Have a Shady day!

25 comments:

  1. Well Shady my friend, my Sunday has been made. What a joy it was to hear all top 10 at one time and to remember back to that special time in my life. It was a mixture but that is who Odie is. I never knew Wild Thing was remade into the last one you had and to say it was wild is an understatement. Linda & I really enjoyed starting our day off with a stroll down memory lane. Thank you so very much for doing it in the fine style that is only Shady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odie - The pleasure is all mine, my friend. Thank you for participating in my Be My Guest campaign and sharing your music and memories with your friends. Have a wonderful Sunday, good buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! I love to hear the music that has shaped people's lives. Happy Sunday to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, G-T! I'm glad you enjoyed Odie's opuses as much as I did. I hope the Paris weather has been to your liking and that you will enjoy what's left of your weekend. Thanks so much for stopping by, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shady. Well, what a brilliant list our friend Odie has picked out there. I listened to them all and was transported back to when I was 19 again! I can only say that I loved all of them, and I know I will come back to listen to them again. I think they'll still be playing "When a Man Loves A Woman" by Percy Sledge in a hundred years time! I love all things that The Righteous Brothers did. Sound of Silence is another favourite of mine. Oh! I loved them all. The only one I hadn't heard of was The Green Beret one. Thanks to Odie for a great list, and thank you Shady, dear friend, for all the other facts that you provided.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thisisme - Thank you for testifying about the greatness of Odie's song selections. I agree that "When a Man Loves a Woman" is a timeless classic. Let's make a pact to meet here 100 years from now to find out if it's still hot in the Shady! (LOL) Enjoy the rest of your Sunday, dear Thisisme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shady another great post. Although I lived in a different era and the music I listened to is different than what is normally played here, I thought that I would include a list as well and the stories behind them. I'll begin in chronological order from earliest to latest.
    #1- Rain Drops keep falling on my head by Burt Bacharach.
    This song was very popular in the 70's when my family came to the U.S from Mexico and it was a song that I associated with the simpler and fun times in America.
    #2- Freddy Fender - Before the Next Teardrop Falls.
    This used to be my grandmother's favorite song. My grandmother died and I almost got choked up writing this as I'm listening to the song now but it's a beutiful song. She would do her chores and feed me the same thing every Saturday. "Chillaquilles, beans, and French bread with butter" Afterwards, I would play with all the kids in Pico/Union area of Los Angeles.
    3-The Doobie Brothers-What a fool believes.
    This song takes me back to East Los Angeles. At that time East. L.A was filled with "cholos" and they would park their low riders and play this song on their cars whiles smoking weed and drinking beer.
    4-The Sugar Hill Gang-Rapper's Delight.
    This was the song that made me love rap music. The first time I heard this baseline, I fell in love with the rhythm and the sound they called "rap". This song is not only a classic but has stood the test of time and it put the world on notice that rap has reached the mainstream.
    5- DEAD KENNEDYS: Holiday in Cambodia
    This was song about the massacre that occured in Cambodia at the hands of the Khmer Rouge. This song was significant because it came at a time when the political climate in America was tense especially since it came at the height of the cold War. Punk Rock music during the late 70's and early 80's also created alot of great songs that were influenced by the politics of that era.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 6-Depeche Mode - Shake the Disease
    I used to have a casette tape and I would play Depeche Mode's tape over and over again especially in my drama class where I met some good friends. They took electronic music to new heights.
    7-Big Mouth Strikes Again - The Smiths
    The Smiths are one of the most underrated bands in the world. Not only did they make great music but Morissey was a freaking poet. All you have to do to support this contention is to look up the lyrics to ANY Smith's song and you will find wit, intelligence, and a wicked sense of humor disguised as songs.
    8-Run D.M.C - Rock Box
    Without a doubt this song forever changed rap music. This was one of the first instances in which rock music and rap was used. At that time it was revolutionary. Run DMC was the first rap group to debut in MTV and the first to be endorsed by a major company (Adidas). Run D.M.C also brought in an aggressive style and realism at a time when most were just rhyming for the sake of creating party rhymes. They were talking about poverty and crime as they experienced it in Queens NY. I remember listening to this music in awe because it was so powerful and refreshing.In a sad side note, theor beloved DJ Jam Master Jay was murdered a few years ago. R. I. P.
    9- PUBLIC ENEMY- FIGHT THE POWER
    This group, though political in nature, schooled the world on the great divide that exists between Blacks and Whites. I would listen to PE and feel like I just left a seminar on black history. They are prob. one of the most infleuntial groups in hip hop. Sadly, the trend in rap music has gone away from politics and towards gimmicks.
    10-The Pixies- Debaser
    This is my favorite rock group ever. I can talk for hours why this band is amazing. Suffice to say that they created the blue print for what was later to be called "grunge: music. The Pixies played that type of music before it even had a label. They are pure energy. They always get me in a good mood. Their sound is unique and they create perfect melodies. What makes them even more attractive is that they down play their greatness and even write songs about silly stuff and yet they pull it off because their music is that good.
    Hope you enjoy these songs as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job as usual Shady! Thanks for all of your hard work for our listening pleasure! I talked to my dad today and he absolutely loved it. Haven't had a lot of time for blogging lately because of long work hours, but I hope to be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Israel- Got it, good buddy! Your songs and stories are much appreciated and I promise that they will not remain buried here. I will keep your list and you will have your own feature on the front page in the near future. Thank you very much for participating, my friend!

    Karen - I'm glad that you came over to check out your dad's songs and I can't wait to see new posts on your outstanding doggie bloggie. Have a great week, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know and love all these songs, Odie. They are all so great! Wild Thing was a particular favorite of mine at the time because I wanted to be a Wild Thing myself. It was nice seening Johnny Rivers sing, love the song and his voice was so good.
    Thanks for the songs and background on Wild Thing, Shady. I'm glad I dragged my old bones on over to have a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belle - We haven't turned into fossils just yet, my dear friend, especially perennially lovely you! Thanks for delivering your ode to Odie and have a fine evening in Kelowna, dear friend Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've done it again, Shady, another great post. Odie, your great contributions helped make it that way! Interesting to see Gary Owens photo in the KEWB photo. So many of the songs were favorites of mine...Cherish, Sounds of Silence, Good Vibrations; had to laugh at the Kinison version of Wild Thing. Also, Odie, I was glad to see you recognized Barry Sadler.

    A big thanks to the both of you, Shady and Odie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cindy - A big thanks to you as well! Very little gets past you, dear friend. You're very observant for spotting Laugh-In's Gary Owens in that print promo for KEWB, a station in Oakland where Gary worked from 1959 to 1961 before heading down to the larger L.A. market. You're a delight as always, Cindy, and I am very grateful to have you as a friend and follower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey

    No offence or anything but i never realized that there are men who have blogs interresting.

    Just sayin gmy blog is really girly so migh not suit u but still feel free to visit!

    Greets from ireland

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gossip Girl - Yes, there are a few male bloggers out and about and I am very happy that you stopped by to take a look at mine. The first thing that I noticed on your blog were those dog pictures. Me likey! Please visit soon and often G-Girl, and have a wonderful night in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good tunes, gotta love the Beach Boys especially when the temps start to get to a balmy 67 degrees :). I always love coming to your blog and hearing tunes that I let slip away like the Sound of Silence. I hadnt heard it in awhile and now have listened to it three times in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amber Blue Bird - Simon and Garfunkel's material stands the test of time, doesn't it? I don't think I could ever tire of "The Sounds of Silence," "Scarborough Fair" and many others with the possible exception of "Mrs. Robinson" which I DO get tired of hearing. Thank you very much for coming over to my house, dear friend Amber, and have a delightful New England evening!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sure enjoyed Odie's Top 10, Shady. Everyone of them were pleasant memories of Top 40 days in York, Pa. I'm glad that North Carolinians enjoyed the same songs we did. I sure miss the sounds of the Mama and Papas, Simon & Garfunkel, Percy Sledge, Beach Boys, Association, etc. Barry Sadler's song was always a good tribute to the guys who fought an unpopular war, many whom never came back. Am looking forward to Israel's Top 10. The first 3 songs are already favorites of mine, but would like to hear the others. I lived in L.A. in the seventies, and what I miss most was stopping for lunch every day on my way home to Silver Lake and indulging in either a red or green burrito and a half-pint of milk at Burrito King on the corner of Sunset and Alvarado for less than $2. I believe they're still in business, from what I've heard. Check them out, Israel, tell me what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ron - Thanks for your feedback about Odie's song list. F.Y.I. you will also get to hear Israel's songs in the near future here on SDM&M, the place where everybody's music gets played and appreciated! Thanks for your comment, good buddy Ron, and have a great day in Tulsa town!

    ReplyDelete
  21. n.3 and n.4 are definitely the best to me

    ReplyDelete
  22. Katia - Your choices do not surprise me. They are two of the greatest love ballads of the 1960s. Thank you for playing Odie's songs and have a wonderful evening in Italy, dear friend Katia!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Graduate is one of my fave movies, Shady! Always so nice to go on a memory lane via your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lenore - I'm glad you went for a stroll down memory lane with Odie and me. Another of our special blog friends will be here tomorrow with a brand new batch of jukebox gems. Thank you very much for your comment and have a delightful evening, Lenore!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great songs Odie and thanks for putting this together Shady Del. I am quite sure my mum would have chosen many of these, especially the Mommas and Pappas! I loved them all too.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?