CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Counting Down the 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell (#200 to #196)

XXX
Friends, Romans 
(Katia, this means you!) 

countrymen ..... 

lend me your ears 

and your eyes..... 

and a hundred smackers. (Pay ya back with interest.)  

It's time for me to begin 

my countdown of 

the 200 Greatest Hits 

of the Shady Dell! 

Question: 
Do you enjoy testing your musical knowledge? 

Answer: 
I want my lawyer! Of course, you do! 


I'm inviting you to play Name That Tune while I count down my list of the greatest Dell songs of the mid 60s. The survey covers the period from December 1965 through September 1967 - the 22 month span during which I practically lived at the Dell before going off to college. You will be given a line
or two of lyrics from five different songs. Your mission, Jim, should you choose to accept it, is to identify the songs
from those clues.

Put on your thinking cap. Here are the 
lyric samples for the first five Dell songs: 

Once I was a hollow man
In which a lonely heart did dwell
Then love came sneaking up on me
Bringing hope to an empty shell

Worn out phrases and longing gazes
Won’t get you where you want to go

Just one look in your eye
And my temperature goes sky high

'mr judge,' I said, 'won't you please be kind
Have pity on me, a poor orphan child?'
Mr judge he says with a long mean frown
'orphan or not, you're going down!'
Well I screamed on my knees in the witness box,
'lord have mercy on my golden locks.'
The judge I could see that he was snide
He says, 'the only kind of blonde you are's a peroxide!'

I'll find you anywhere you go,
I'm gonna look high and low.
You can't escape this love of mine anytime.

Now let's find out if you passed or 
flunked as we begin counting down 

The 200 Greatest Hits 
of the Shady Dell!


200. "(I Wanna) Testify" - Parliaments 
(July '67) 




199. "Words Of Love" - Mamas & Papas 
(December '66) 




198. "B-A-B-Y" - Carla Thomas (August '66) 




197. "Lime Street Blues" - Procol Harum 
(July '67) 




196. "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie" 
- Jay & The Techniques (July '67) 



How many songs did you correctly guess from the lyric clues? Refer to the grading scale below to determine your musical I.Q.

All 5 right – Congratulations! 
You’ve been 
appointed dean 
of the College of Musical Knowledge. 

3 or 4 right –
Licensed lyric lover

2 right -
Lyrically challenged

1 right –
Sign up for remedial 
classes at the 
School of Rock

0 right –

You just dance and hum along!

Do you have a top tunes list of your own that you would like to share? I'd love to see it! It doesn't have to contain 200 songs; even a Top 10 would be interesting and instructive. Submit your song list in the form of a comment and I'll get it posted.


Have a Shady day!

20 comments:

  1. I won't lie, I'm dancing & humming along. My monday morning brain could not get it's hard drive booted in time. Of course once they started playing the old, yeah I remember that so well, surfaced. It gets worse as I tack on more years sad to say. Really enjoyed feeling like a teen again if only for a few minutes. Thanks Shady & have a super week.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odie - The trick is to feel like a teen again all the time and the music of our youth enables us to do just that. I use songs like these for exercise sessions, when I'm working around the house, or simply to boost my spirits. When you want to alter your mood and energize yourself great songs work faster and better than any pill on the market. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day and week, Odie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Mamas and Papas, they were so amazing, pity about their messed up personal lives but I suppose it made for great songs!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma - "If you remember the sixties, you weren't there." So said Grace Slick and supposedly Robin Williams as well. A messed up personal life is quite often the price one pays for being a rock star or a show business celebrity of any kind and many great songs were indeed born of emotional pain. Thank you for coming across the pond to see me, dear friend, and have a fine day in Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be honest, I got a whole whopping ZERO this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristina - That's quite understandable, dear friend. These songs were on the chart light years before you were even born. Nevertheless I hope you found one or two that you liked and I greatly appreciate your visit. Have a terrific day and week, Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid that I was just dancing & humming along as well, Shady! Oh dear, no brownie points for me today! I so agree with your comment that listening to the music of our youth can really lift our spirits. They certainly energize me! Hope you are well my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thisisme - You just bopped and hummed along? My goodness, I'm a bit surprised to find boomers who don't remember these songs. As the countdown continues I'm sure you'll achieve better quiz scores, dear friend! Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shady I apologize. I haven't been a very good blogger friend lately! But what a wonderful list of tunes (even if I'm lyrically challenged). It doesn't matter because they're the best kind to dance and hum to. Thanks Shady for being you, and being wonderful to boot! Hope you had a swell Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alabee - It's wonderful to find a comment from you, dear friend. You have been missed here and on your own site. However, there is certainly no need for you to apologize for taking a break from blogging. We all need to do that occasionally. I'm glad you enjoyed my song challenge and I hope to see you again soon. Please take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS you won an award over at my blog - go check it out! http://somethingdeepwithin.blogspot.com/2011/04/quite-eventful-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristina - Thank you very much for giving me The Versatile Blogger Award! That is very sweet and thoughtful of you and I am honored! I have the emblem proudly displayed at the bottom right of my home page! Thank you again for your kindness, dear friend Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i hope you had wonderful holidays,sorry if i hadn't been very present on your blog (which is still one of my favourites ever :) )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katia - I was hoping you would come out of hiding once you saw your name in print in my latest post. I'm happy to see you! I had an enjoyable holiday weekend and I hope that you did as well. Have a wonderful day in Italy and please come back soon, dear friend Katia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello dear Shady!
    such wonderful songs from the past!
    Have a wonderful sweet week!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lenore - So sweet of you to come by for a listen or two! You had an exciting trip halfway around the world and I'm glad you're safely home. Thanks for making time for me! Happy Wednesday, Lenore Nevermore!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I must confess, I failed miserably and am in the "dance and hum along" category. But I can't tell you how much I enjoy these clips, and your vast knowledge on this subject, Shady! Thanks for the pick-me-up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Any time, Joan! I'm glad you found a tune or two to your liking and delighted that you made time for a visit. Please take good care of yourself and good night to you in Nashville, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm dancing and humming along!!! Which is a good thing cos dancing always makes me feel better :) Thanks for all your lovely comments on my blog lately! Currently looking for a little tux for Sir Alfred or the very least a spanking bow tie for the nuptials. Never mind the bride, Alfred will be looking the business!!! Have a wonderful day, Shady :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. G-T - (LOL) I'm sure that Alfred would steal the show at the Royal wedding as well! It seems as if most of you scored a zero and had to dance and hum along to this set of songs. Fear not. You can pull up your grade point average on future quizzes. Stay tuned, dear friend, and thank you very much for coming to call!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?