CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Counting Down the 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell (#195 to #191)

XXX
It's time once again to put your 
musical knowledge to the test 
as we continue our countdown of 
The 200 Greatest Hits of the Shady Dell! 


You know the drill. I'll give you a line or two of lyrics taken from five of the most popular Dell songs of the mid 1960s. Your job is to Name That Tune. 

Put on your thinking cap. Here are the 
lyric samples for the next five Dell songs:

Beware of pretty faces that you find 
A pretty face can hide an evil mind 

Roll over on your back 
I like it like that 

Everyday things change 
And the world puts on a new face 
Certain things rearrange 
And this whole world seems like a new place 

(listen to me when i'm 
speakin','cause you know the 
words i'm thinkin') 
(and i know that you've been 
cheatin', oh, i hope that 
we'll be meetin'.) 

You're here today and gone tomorrow 
Leave this heart of mine in sorrow 
Then you come around every now and then 
Long enough to hurt me then you're gone again 

Now let's find out how well you did. 
Here are the Dell songs in today's countdown:


195. "Secret Agent Man" - Johnny Rivers 
(March '66) 




194. "Land Of 1000 Dances" - Wilson Pickett 
(August '66) 




193. "The Hunter Gets Captured By 
The Game" - Marvelettes (February '67) 




192. "Kind Of A Drag" - Buckinghams 
(January '67) 




191. "You Keep Running Away" - Four Tops 
(September '67) 



How many songs did you correctly guess from the lyric clues? Refer to the grading scale below to determine your musical I.Q.

All 5 right – Congratulations! 
You’ve been 
appointed dean 
of the College of Musical Knowledge 

3 or 4 right – 
Licensed lyric lover

2 right - 
Lyrically challenged

1 right – 
Sign up for remedial 
classes at the School 
of Rock 

0 right – 

You just dance and hum along!

Do you have a top tunes list of your own that you would like to share? I'd love to see it! It doesn't have to contain 200 songs. Even a Top 10 would be interesting and instructive. Submit your song list in the form of a comment and I'll get it posted.


Have a Shady day!

25 comments:

  1. Well, look at me, bottom of the class again my dear friend! Guess I'll just be dancing and humming along then! I wonder if anyone else will be joining me?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thisisme - Stumped again? (LOL) Well, there's nothing wrong with dancing and humming along, dear friend, or in your case "bopping" and humming along as you would put it. The fact that you made time to swing across the pond for a visit is all that matters to me. Thank you very much for your comment, Thisisme, and have a delightful evening in South Hams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only know the Devo version of Secret Agent Man, I'd never heard this version before. You hear something new every day!

    Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma - That's what we're here for, dear friend. You are opening my eyes, ears and mind to new experiences and I am pleased to be doing the same for you. Thank you very much for coming over, Emma, and good night to you in dear ol' Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me on a half & half day my friend since 2 or 3 I really did not remember at all but the others made me smile remembering the good times I had listening to them so many years ago. Thanks for another rewarding episode.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh I did know some of the songs but not by the lyrics.

    i haven't heard kinda of a drag since I was a kid!!

    I don't remember the marvelletes or four tops numbers at all,they may not have done well in Australia.

    this is going to be fun, more please :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odie - I'm glad you recognized a tune or two or three in this batch, good buddy. That's a big improvement over the last countdown post when you struck out completely. Stay tuned because the next installment of Summer Means Fun is coming soon!

    I.W.B.Y. - Hello, my Australian friend and welcome to my little corner of the blogosphere! It's interesting to know that you remember this one by the Buckinghams. The songs by the Marvelettes and Four Tops were moderately popular stateside but were not huge hits. I can understand why they didn't catch on down under. I notice that you are already acquainted with our good friend Belle. Please visit often, enjoy music you haven't heard in ages, and meet many new friends from around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard the Marvelettes tune before. I really liked it though. To keep on with my immaturity tone for the day, I cant listen to Secret Agent Man without changing the lyrics to Secret Asian Man. Like I said, I'm 12.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amber Blue Bird - Cheer up, kiddo. I have the mental age of a 2 year old! (LOL) Your post gave me a hoot today and I hope my comment gave you one. Great minds, my friend. (I'm still waiting for your husband to sing some Bob Goulet show tunes on your blog!) Thanks for coming down to see me, Amber, and have a very pleasant New England night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shady, Hubby is asleep so I can't listen to the tunes. I'll have to wait until he isn't sleeping and I'm not gambling. That could take a while!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belle - AOK, dear friend. I'm pleased as punch that you dropped by. Remember...what happens in Reno stays in Reno! Have a terrific Tuesday, Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankyou for the warm welcome :)
    not sure how I found my way here lol, either,belle,odie or this is me,I peek at everyones blogrolls!!
    I love this music,so I will pull up a chair :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I.W.B.Y. - Please do pull up a chair! I am delighted to have you join Belle, Odie and Thisisme, three of my dearest friends! Have a wonderful day/evening in Oz, my new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I got one of the lyrics right---the Marvelettes. Of course, I've listened to it a thousand times. You included all great songs I've enjoyed live: Johnny Rivers, Marvelettes, Four Tops, Wilson Pickett, and the Buckinghams, whom I paid little attention to years ago, but now enjoy very much. All great sounds! Thanks for the sounds, Shady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ron - I can't imagine you needing to sign up for remedial classes at the School of Rock! (LOL) I'll betcha if you had played the real Name That Tune game (with sound) you would have known all of these songs in two seconds flat. Thanks for playing, my good friend, and stay cool in Tulsa town!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, Babe, I'm afraid I fall under the "Just Dance" category! But, thanks to YOU, Shady, I'm LEARNING! Thanks for the fun, musical education!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joanie - It's always nice to find a pupil who is eager to learn. Thank you very much for spinning some records with me, my dear friend, and good night to you in Nashville!

    ReplyDelete
  18. long time since my last comment on your blog...but it's always a good reading
    xx
    *K*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katia - As we used to say at the Shady Dell: "hello stranger!" (LOL) I've been missing you, my Rapunzel haired friend! Thank you for showing your pretty face over here and please come back soon, okay? Have a wonderful evening in Rome, Katia!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It appears ole Cindy Lou has failed Shady's quiz and needs to attend "summer" school. She made a F-, only recognizing the lyrics from Johnny River's "Secret Agent Man". She still had such fun listening to Shady's selections and really enjoyed listening to "Land of a 1000 Dances", "Kind of a Drag" and loved Shady closing with The Four Tops.

    P.S. Maybe Shady will have more mercy on her in summer school! ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cindy Lou - Looks like you need to stay after school and do some lyrics learnin', my dear friend. As I noted in my cover story there were a few guys at the original Dell who were more than happy to teach me a lesson. (LOL) It makes me very happy to see your face in my space, Cindy, and I hope life's treating you well these days. Summer Means Fun resumes tomorrow, so don't touch that dial!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shady how I've missed you and your fabulous tunes! I was so very happy as I listened and danced around my room. Thank you Shady for always bringing some cheer into my life with your songs and kind words. I hope you're doing well and having a lovely start of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alabee - It was a delightful surprise to find you back on your blog and you know by now that you will always receive a warm welcome here. Dance dance dance, Alabee. When you dance you chase the blues. Stay close, my dear friend, for a summer of fun here on my channel.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am with thisisme, yet again. Bottom of list. hehe. But I did enjoy listening to the 5 songs! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm afraid I couldn't guess any either! Terrible. Well, you played one of my favorites, "Kind of A Drag". I knew all the others except the Marvelettes song. I liked it a lot. Liked all the others too. Great songs!

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?