CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ..... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Monday, May 28, 2012

Clinically Proven: The Epic Odyssey of a Band Called The Soul Clinic, Part 4


 THEY WERE INFLUENCED BY AL KOOPER'S 

 BRASS-ROCK MASTERPIECE 

 CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN. 





 THEY IDOLIZED R&B SHOWMEN 

 LIKE MR. PITIFUL, OTIS REDDING. 






 THEY WERE THE EIGHT... 


 THEY WERE THE GREAT... 


THEY WERE 




Welcome to week two of my interview with The Soul Clinic, the eight man R&B band from York, PA. This 9-part series represents the group's first interview since disbanding at the end of the 60s and the first in-depth discourse ever conducted with them. I am delighted to bring it to you exclusively here on SDM&M.

Last week we learned that The Soul Clinic was influenced to some extent by The Magnificent Men and other brassy soul bands but that it had its own distinctive style and opted for a funkier, grittier repertoire. We heard from keyboard player Rick Terlazzo who told us how The Concords, his Soul Clinic feeder band, came together. Today the spotlight is back on Larry Smith, leader of The Soul Clinic.

S.D. KNIGHT: Larry, I'd like you to take us through your career playing drums in bands. We already know that you were influenced as a boy by percussion icon Gene Krupa and that you had an opportunity at age eleven to sit in with jazz giant Stan Kenton and his Orchestra. Shortly thereafter, you, a little white boy, somehow wound up in an all black band called Don and the Wonders. Pick up the story from there. How did you get the chance to join The Wonders?

 LARRY SMITH: 

 This is an illustration of how 
 opportunities will come your 
 way throughout your life and 
 can have a huge impact on 
 your future. As I explained 
 Friday I learned to play R n B 
 with Don & the Wonders. 
 Their bass player was Buck 
 Generett who later sang with 
 the Del-Chords. Until that time 
 I hadn't really played much with other people, just 
 practiced on my pad and drums and played along to my 
 big sister Cheryl's 45s. It was SHE who got me the gig with 
 The Wonders. I believe it was in September 1961 which 
 means that I was AGE 11, ABOUT TO TURN 12! 

 Cheryl was 4 years older, a sophomore in HS, and dating a 
 freshman fraternity guy from a local college. His name was 
 Ron Mendenhall and he was the fraternity's "entertainment 
 director." His frat had booked DON and THE WONDERS for 
 a dance at West York Fire Hall and at the last minute their 
 drummer got THROWN IN JAIL. Cheryl says to Ron, "Hey - 
 my brother Larry can play drums!" Ron: "Really??" 

 When they first asked me I said, "NOOOOOO!" I mean, 
 good lord, these guys are PROS and in their TWENTIES!!!" 
 Then Ron says: "It pays TEN DOLLARS!!". "OK. I'LL DO IT!!!" 

S.D. KNIGHT: Ten bucks? That's the equivalent of a gazillion today!

 LARRY SMITH: Tell me about it! Although I was scared to 
 death, BUCK GENERETT took me under his wing. They 
 asked me to do a few more gigs with them and seemed 
 very pleased. Before I knew it, they asked me to be their 
 full time drummer! Since I was only 12 the only way to 
 play at and travel with them to gigs was with a PARENT 
 or LEGAL GUARDIAN present. 

 Enter VONI GRIMES... 

 Mainly to avoid being stopped 
 by the police going to and from 
 the gigs, my mother Annie 
 appointed Mr. Voni Grimes 
 my legal guardian. My mom 
 previously worked at the 
 York Courthouse and knew 
 most of the police. She now 
 was personal secretary to 
 John W. Heller III, the Attor- 
 ney for the City of York. 
 He notarized the document. 
 Voni came to EVERY gig and looked out for me, as did all 
 the band members.  Whenever we DID get stopped, the 
 police always knew VONI, (who was in the car with me), 
 and my mom ANNIE! 

 In a recent conversation with Buck Generett while 
 researching for this blog, I asked if he had any photos 
 of THE WONDERS. He didn't think so, but he said he'd 
 ask VONI. I SAID: "WHAT? IS HE STILL ALIVE??" OMG! 
 I haven't spoken to him in 50 years! 



 TED SAXON: 

 Voni comes to my family picnics 
 every year. He is turning 90 this 
 year and amazes everybody with 
 his proficiency on the harmonica. 
 There is even a gym named after 
 him! 



 LARRY SMITH: I'm happy to say that I have spoken with 
 VONI several times in recent weeks and have obtained 
 his memoirs Bridging Troubled Waters from amazon.com. 


 VONI'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS INCLUDE: 

 * Founding member of York County Legal Services 

 * Co-founder of the York County Parks and Recreation 
 Department 

 * Received Black Belt in Judo 1960, one of the highest 
 ranks available: Soke Shihan; taught Martial Arts at 
 Penn State York, for 14 years. 

 * There is a gym named after him on College Ave in York, 
 the Voni B. Grimes Gymnasium, where he STILL works out 
 3 TIMES A WEEK! 


  Voni's biceps. Pic taken in March, 2012! 

 * Included in the 23rd Edition of Who's Who in Finance & 
 Industry 1983 

 * Included in the 7th Edition of Who's Who among Black 
 Americans 1993 

 * Included in the Platinum Edition of Who's Who Worldwide 
 1993 


 What a remarkable lifetime of giving and achievement! 
 I am honored and proud that this man touched my life. 
 I urge everyone to get his book. 

S.D. KNIGHT: A wonderful tribute to a great man, Larry! Okay, let's move on. After playing with The Wonders your next big break came when you joined the Del-Chords. What circumstances led to that opportunity?

 LARRY SMITH: My opportunity to join the Del-Chords 
 can be traced back to Jeff Hildebrand, a fellow drummer 
 who was in that group. Again, it was my sister Cheryl 
 who played a key role because she used to go see the 
 Del-Chords and I knew of Jeff through her.  I think I 
 first met Jeff one Saturday in downtown York.  He knew 
 Cheryl and he had heard of me from Don & the Wonders. 
 We became good friends. I idolized Jeff!  I loved his 
 groove and "snap" on the drums. As you can see in the 
 Del-Chords picture below Jeff was also a singer and a 
 pretty good one at that. In later groups Jeff regularly 
 played drums and sang.  


   Ike Bowers, Jeff Hildebrand, Allen "Jap" Shue 
 members of The Del-Chords, 1963  


 We interrupt this interview 

 to bring you breaking news! 


Allen "Jap" Shue, the former member of the Del-Chords on the right in the picture above, was seen last month walking into the Shady Dell to attend the historic open house. Guess who saw my post recapping the event, spotted "Jap" Shue in the picture on the left, and called it to my attention? It was none other than
my special surprise guest Mr. Dave Bupp!


S.D. KNIGHT: Dave, thank you very much for joining us!
I understand that you have some information to share that will be music to the ears of all Dell rats.


   Dave Bupp 

 Hey, Shady! “Jap” Shue was what I call “THE ORIGINAL 
 DEL-CHORD.”  He came to me at the U.S. 30 drag strip, 
 and said: “WANNA START A GROUP?” Thus the Chords 
 were born. Me and Jeff Hildebrand came up with THE DEL-
 CHORDS name. Partly because of THE DELL  and partly 
 because of The Del-Vikings, Del Satins, Etc. 

S.D. KNIGHT: Dave, I'm sure you noticed that I just did a spit-take with my coffee! This is the first time I ever heard that the Shady helped put the Del in Del-Chords. Getting that important piece of the puzzle directly from you makes my day, my month and my year and I know that Dell rats everywhere are just as excited by this revelation of yours. Thank you very much for being here, Dave!

Okay, Larry, let's get back to the story of how you joined Dave and his Del-Chords.

 LARRY SMITH: One night The Delchords were at the Oaks. 
 I remember dancing with some babe, and all of a sudden, 
 the music STOPPED. I looked up at the stage. Jeff had 
 PASSED OUT and FELL off his drum set. Like lots of guys 
 back then, he drank too much at times. A few of the guys 
 carried him into the dressing room. A few minutes later, 
 Bupp comes out on the stage, looking into the audience. 
 He sees me and shouts: "SMITH!! COME HERE!!" I go up 
 and he says, "Look, Jeff's drunk, you have to finish the 
 gig!!" OMG. MY BIG BREAK. (I mean, this is the coolest band 
 around!) I was scared to death, but I knew I could do it! 
 That's how I joined the Del-Chords. This was probably 
 late summer or fall of 1963. I turned 14 in October. 

S.D. KNIGHT: A star is born! :)

 LARRY SMITH: Within a few weeks after I started 
 rehearsing with them, Dave pulls me aside and says, 
 "Smith, we're going to be doing an outdoor show backing 
 up the TEMPTATIONS."  "We need to bring Jeff in to do 
 this show. I hope you understand." God, I was heartbroken, 
 BUT it was understandable for sure! It wasn't a total loss. 
 They performed on a flatbed trailer outside of WNOW 
 radio on top of a hill in East York. I hung out "backstage" 
 and got to go into the station for the on-air interviews 
 with the Temps. That night the guys picked me up and 
 we partied with the Temps all night in their rooms at the 
 YORKTOWNE HOTEL!!! 

S.D. KNIGHT: You might have missed out on playing drums for that Temptations show but you can always point with pride to the fact that your drumming can be heard on the Del-Chords legendary two-sider. What do you remember about that mythical studio session in Philadelphia?

 LARRY SMITH: 1964 was a big year for the band. Before 
 I joined in the summer of '63, they had made a deal with 
 Chris Huber, the manager of WHITE OAKS PARK. This 
 likely occurred sometime in 1962. Chris also became the 
 Del-Chords first manager. Hence, they became the de- 
 facto house band there. I was "enlisted" in 1963 and by 
 the summer of '64, we were packing the joint nightly! 

 In the early fall of 1964, we were contacted by Fran 
 Williams from Impala Records. Unbeknownst to the rest 
 of the band, Ronnie Serale (bass & keys), had mailed a 
 tape to Impala. They apparently liked what they heard! 
 Shortly thereafter, (a month?), we left for Philly on a 
 Sunday night for our first recording session. It was 
 certainly my first time in a "real" studio. I was 15 for 
 God's sake! And I was pretty nervous. We had two 
 cars, the bigger one pulling a trailer. 

 We arrived at the studio on North Broad Street in Philly. 
 It was above the well-known Chips Record Distributors. 
 As Ike Bowers recalls: "We had to go up one lonnnnng 
 staircase, the length of TWO stories! It was really steep; 
 almost straight up!" Once we got our gear set up, there 
 was mic placement, sound levels, etc. Then we rehearsed 
 the tunes. I'm not sure if we did some tracks right away 
 or waited. In my recent conversations with Buck and Ike, 
 they verified that there were other bands recording that 
 same night! Ike recalls the one group was from Washing- 
 ton, DC and had a moderate hit with "Hit and Run Lover". 
 This was just one room with sound baffles, a vocal booth 
 and control room. Remember, these sessions went on well 
 into the wee hours. We'd record like 5 or 6 takes of a 
 song, band only. Then the vocals were added to the music 
 tracks.  Meanwhile, the next band would be laying down 
 their rhythm tracks. There was a lot of "down time". 

 Which leads to one of my favorite and most vivid memories. 
 It was a long night and of course we'd get hungry. So out 
 we'd go in search of rations. There we were, walking down 
 Broad Street looking for A) CLOSE FOOD, B) CHEAP FOOD. 
 About a block away on the next corner, we saw a WHITE 
 CASTLE!! Our prayers were answered!  Yay...close AND 
 CHEAP!! Burgers were 10 cents apiece!! Cheeseburgers 
 were 15 cents! That night we recorded "Everybody's Gotta 
 Lose", "Your Mommy Lied to Your Daddy," both written by 
 Dave Bupp, and "Daddy's Lonely" by Buck Generett.  The 
 Del-Chords single was released at the end of the year. 


 "Your Mommy Lied to You Daddy" - The Del-Chords 
 (December 1964, B side of "Everybody's Gotta Lose 
 Someday") 



 LARRY SMITH: I played drums with the Del-Chords for a 
 year-and-a-half.  When I left, Jeff Hildebrand rejoined 
 the group for the short time remaining before it dissolved 
 and the Mag Men formed.  


---   Buck Generett & Dave Bupp, Aug. 2005  

S.D. KNIGHT: Larry, you started out in those two bands with Buck Generett: The Wonders and the Del-Chords. After you left the Del-Chords your career intersected with those of other future members of The Soul Clinic including lead singer Tony Scott. I understand that you have assembled, for the first time ever, a comprehensive list of bands and personnel that will enable us to trace your branch of the Soul Clinic family tree.

 LARRY SMITH: I did it with help from Dick "Butch" Gayman, 
 Barry Shultz and Buck. We came up with the following list 
 of bands related to The Epics and The Soul Clinic.  They 
 follow the comings and goings of some of the best vocal 
 and instrumental talent that York had to offer in the 60s. 
___________________________________________
___________________________________________


 Don & the Wonders (Fall 1961 - Spring 1963) 

 Larry Smith (drums) 
 Edward "Buck" Generett (bass gtr, vocals) 
 Donald "Duck" Generett (gtr, lead vocals) 
 Ervin Generett (vocals) 
 Ray Price (vocals) 
 Herman Banks (vocals) 
 Ronnie Scott (kbds, vocals) 

 As I said before, I joined The Wonders in the fall of '61. 
 The nucleus of the band consisted of Don "Duck" Generett 
 and his two brothers. Sometimes we were joined by Ronnie 
 Scott, who played keyboards with the Quin-Tones. 


 Great news, Shady! A reliable source saw this picture of 
 The Wonders in Friday's Part 3 post, recognized the un- 
 identified members and contacted me over the weekend! 
 The Wonders personnel in the photo are Buck Generett, 
 front and center with guitar, his brother Ervin on far left, 
 Herman Banks to the right of Ervin, Ray Price at ctr. rear, 
 Don "Duck" Generett to the right of Ray, and on the far 
 right is Ronnie Scott from the Quin-Tones.  This picture 
 was taken around late 1960 or early '61 before I joined 
 The Wonders. There is no drummer in the photo, because, 
 according to my good friend Buck Generett, they always 
 had trouble finding a good, dependable drummer. They 
 sometimes were no shows! 

 Over the weekend I also had the pleasure of speaking 
 with Ervin Generett for only the second time in 50 YEARS! 
 According to Ervin, the original WONDERS began in 1955. 
 Edward (Buck) was in Junior H.S. at that time. The group 
 toured in 1957 and 58, playing much of the famed "Chitlin 
 Circuit" including the big stops: The Regal Theater in Chi- 
 cago, The Fox in Detroit, The Howard Theater in Wash- 
 ington, DC, The Uptown in Philly, and...the MECCA of all 
 soul and r n' b performers, the WORLD FAMOUS APOLLO 
 THEATER in Harlem, NY! 

___________________________________________
___________________________________________


 The Epics version 1-a (1962 to 1964) 

 Glenn ???, then Ron Botterbusch (drs) 
 Ed Myers (vocals) 
 Larry Wrightzel (vocals) 
 Barry Shultz (gtr) 
 Tom Fisher (bs) 
 Steve Luckenbaugh (kbds) 
 Dave Martin took over (kbds in '63) 
 Ed Furst (trumpet, vocals) 
 Mike Leash (valve trmb) 

 Above you see the earliest version of The Epics which 
 existed from 1962 to 1964. 

___________________________________________
___________________________________________


 The Del-Chords (Summer 1963 - Early 1965) 

 Dave Bupp 
 Adrian "Buddy" King 
 Bill "Cheeks" Schlosser 
 Larry Smith (replaced Jeff Hildebrand) 
 Jeff Hildebrand (replaced Larry Smith) 
 Edward "Buck" Generett 
 Otto "Spike" Sexton 
 Edward "Ike" Bowers 
 Allen "Jap" Shue 
 Don Sponsler 
 Dale Saxon 
 Ernie Banks 
 Ron Serale 

 The dates above represent the year-and-a-half that I was 
 a member of The Del-Chords. I was just about to turn 14 
 when I joined. I was a "snot-nosed" kid who got to play 
 with and learn from some of the best musicians and singers 
 anywhere!  These guys were key "players" in the local 
 music scene in the 60's. They were the ones we "looked 
 up to". Keep in mind that only EIGHT of the people listed 
 above performed on the recordings. There were actually 
 FOUR additional singers and there were several "versions" 
 of The Del-Chords just like there were different versions 
 of The Epics, with members flowing in and out and back! 
 The version I played with (1964), was essentially the guys 
 listed above. (They didn't ALL show up sometimes.) 
 It's a good thing too; the stage could get REEEALLY 
 CROWDED!! As noted Jeff Hildebrand was drummer for the 
 Del-Chords' before and after my tenure with the band. 

___________________________________________
___________________________________________


 The Epics version 1-b (June 1964 to Sept 1965) 

 Jeff Hildebrand (drs, vocals) 
 Barry Shultz (gtr) 
 Tom Fisher (bs) 
 Dave Martin (organ) 
 Tony Scott (Lead Vocals) 
 Ed Furst (trumpet, vocals) 
 Mike Leash (valve trmb) 

 Around June of 1964 The Epics underwent a change of  
 personnel which included bringing Jeff Hildebrand in on 
 drums. Tony Scott joined the band as lead vocalist and 
 we believe that Butch Gayman and Jeff Hildebrand are 
 the ones who recruited Tony, the colorful character who 
 later sang lead on The Soul Clinic's "So Sharp" record. 

___________________________________________
___________________________________________


 The Valentines (March 1965 to June 1965) 

 Jeff Hildebrand (drs) 
 Don "Duck" Generett (lead vocals) 
 Edward "Buck" Generett (vocals, gtr) 
 Otto Sexton (vocals, bass) 
 Ron Serale (organ) 
 Carolyn "Cissy" Holmes (formerly of The Quin-Tones) 

 Shady, I am aware that you have featured the Del-Chords 
 and The Quin-Tones on your blog in the past. With that in 
 mind we included a band that will be of interest to you and 
 many of your readers.  In 1965 members of the Wonders 
 and the Del-Chords formed a short lived group called the 
 Valentines which included Cissy Holmes of the Quin-Tones. 
 During this period Jeff Hildebrand bounced back and forth 
 between The Epics and The Valentines. 

___________________________________________
___________________________________________


 Starlite Lounge Band (Spring and Summer 1965) 

 Larry Smith (drs) 
 Barry Shultz (gtr) 
 Ted Saxon (bs) 
 Dave Martin (organ) 
 Bruce DeLauder (tenor sax) 
 Tony Scott (sang with band occasionally) 
 Guest appearances by 
 Dale or Thad Saxon (Both: bs, gtr, kbds) 

 The Starlite Lounge Band was basically a pickup band. 
 For months, Ted Saxon and I played at a tiny "shit-hole" 
 called the STARLITE Lounge. We'd play every Friday and  
 Saturday. I think it was at the corner of South Court Ave 
 & East Charles Lane. Back then South Court was just an 
 alley! 

   Bruce Delauder  

 This is where I met saxophonist 
 Bruce De Lauder. Barry Schultz 
 and Dave Martin joined in while 
 performing with the Epics during 

 the same time frame. Sometimes 
 one of Ted's brothers (Thad & 
 Dale) would sit in on keys or 
 guitar. Tony Scott also frequented 
 the joint. This ultimately is how we 
 (Ted, Bruce and I), joined up with 
 the Epics. 

___________________________________________
___________________________________________


 The Epics version 2 (Oct. 1965 to Sept. 1966) 

 Larry Smith (drs) 
 Barry Shultz (gtr) 
 Ted Saxon (bs) 
 Dave Martin (organ) 
 Bruce DeLauder (tenor sax) 
 Tony Scott (vocals) 
 Ed Furst (trumpet) 
 Mike Leash (valve trmb) 

 The final version of the Epics came together in the fall 
 of 1965. According to Barry Shultz, when Ted Saxon 
 came in, Tom Fisher joined The Emperors on bass. 

___________________________________________
___________________________________________


 The Epics Soul Clinic (Oct. 1966 to Dec. 1966) 

 Larry Smith (drs) 
 Mike Eads (gtr) 
 Ted Saxon (bs) 
 Rick Terlazzo (organ) 
 Bruce DeLauder (tenor sax) 
 Tony Scott(vocals) 
 Ed Furst (trumpet) 
 Clark Miller (valve trmb/vocals) 

 Around the fall of 1966 we replaced our keyboard 
 player Dave Martin.  I "stole" Rick Terlazzo from 

 The Concords. Soon after Rick joined, we changed 
 the name of the band to The Epics Soul Clinic. That 
 name was only used for maybe three months until the 
 end of 1966 or the beginning of '67. 

S.D.KNIGHT: Little D, you have a couple of promotional pics taken around this time which show the band transitioning from The Epics to The Epics Soul Clinic.

 RICK DILLMAN: The outdoor group shot below, taken at 

 the historic York County landmark Wildcat Falls, a tourist 
 spot along the Susquehanna River north of Wrightsville, 
 shows the Epics/Epics Soul Clinic transition in progress. 


 Trombone player Mike Leash had enlisted in the Air Force 
 and had been replaced by Clark Miller (above ctr. kneeling). 
 Clark was recruited from the Concords by Rick Terlazzo, 
 (far left), shortly after Rick arrived in The Epics. Original 
 Epics trumpet player Ed Furst and original guitar player 
 Barry Shultz are second and third from left. Guitarist Mike 
 Eads and I had not yet left The Concords to join Larry's 
 band. 



 In the picture above trumpeter Ed Furst is fourth from left 
 and guitarist Barry Shultz is on the far right. Not long after 
 this Mike Eads replaced Barry and Barry went over to the 
 Concords. A year later I left the Concords and replaced 
 Ed Furst. The new trombone player, Clark Miller, is seen 
 standing on the left side behind Tony Scott and Larry. 


------------------   Clark Miller 

 LARRY SMITH: 
Clark was an important acquisition. 
 He was a great trombone player, but he also had 
 singing ability.  He sang lead and background vocals. 

___________________________________________
___________________________________________


 The Soul Clinic (Jan. 1967 to Aug. 1969) 

 Larry Smith (drs) 
 Mike Eads (gtr) 
 Ted Saxon (bs) 
 Rick Terlazzo (organ) replaced 8/68 by Steve Crusty Holder 
 Bruce DeLauder (tenor sax) 
 Tony Scott (lead vocals) 
 Ed Furst (trumpet) replaced 11/67 by Rick (Little D) Dillman  
 Clark Miller (valve trmb/vocals) 



 RICK DILLMAN: Suffice it to say that by early 1967 the 
 band was called The Soul Clinic and the image above shows 
 the lineup that was in place around that time. Mike Eads, 
 who replaced Barry Shultz on guitar a couple of months 

 earlier, is on the far left and original trumpet player Ed Furst 
 is second from right. 

 LARRY SMITH: As we noted earlier Rick Dillman was the 
 last to join the band in November of '67 replacing Ed Furst 
 as our trumpet player. The band list above also shows that 
 our organist Rick Terlazzo left The Soul Clinic in the summer 
 of 1968 and was replaced by Steve Holder. The Soul Clinic 
 stayed together until the summer of 1969. 

___________________________________________
___________________________________________

S.D. KNIGHT: A huge thank you to Larry, Butch, Barry and Buck for compiling those band lineups, a monumental task that no one else has ever undertaken!

Now let's get back to the timeline of major events in the history of The Soul Clinic. It's late 1967 and Rick Dillman has just joined the band. The Soul Clinic's classic lineup is now
in place, the group of guys that went into the studio a few months later and made the record. We'll get to that story shortly but first let's talk about the band's close encounter with one of their soul heroes at a gig in December of '67. What happened?

 RICK DILLMAN: A few weeks after I joined we went to 
 Bethlehem for a show at Lehigh University. As it happened 
 the Temptations were also playing there that weekend. 

 LARRY SMITH: We did not perform with the Temptations. 
 In fact, I'm not sure we knew they were there until we 
 arrived. We played at Lehigh often. Our gig was at a 
 fraternity. The Temps probably headlined the stadium 
 or something. A few of us tracked down where they 
 were staying and basically stalked them! We rented 
 a room on their floor. 

 When we saw David Ruffin 
 heading for his limo, we 
 made our move... 
 "Mr Ruffin, Mr Ruffin!!" 
 He was so nice.... 
 it started to rain, so he 
 invited us into his limo. 
 There was a LARGE 
 MINK BLANKET 
 hanging down the back 
 of the front seat and 
 onto the floor! He said: 
 "C'mon in, it's ok." 
 "BUT IT'S RAINING!" 
 We were reluctant, but 
 excited. We talked for a 
 few minutes then left. 

 "I Wish It Would Rain" - The Temptations (February 1968, 
 highest chart position #4) 




 RICK DILLMAN: 

  I have a souvenir from that 

 encounter. I got my group 
 picture autographed by 
 David Ruffin. When he 
 signed it he wrote 
 "to Little 'D'." Incidentally 
 there's one other thing 
 that I remember about 
 that trip to Lehigh. 
 Otis Redding died in a 
 plane crash that same 
 weekend, December 10th. 


 Who is Willie Drummond 

 and what's he got to do 

 with the price of eggs in China? 

 How did the Soul Clinic get 

 the chance to make a record? 

 What went whack in the studio? 





 Find out Wednesday in Part 5 of 

 Clinically Proven! 

Have a Shady day!

29 comments:

  1. First off that live version of Mr. Pitiful is killer. Why dont we have singers like this nowadays?! Ok rant over. I love that Larry got over his fears for the grand total of ten bucks. I wonder if that would work on my fear of heights.....that would take more money :) These guys have lived quite the life. Keep the stories comin and I hope you are having a grand ole memorial day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Amber! Thank you very much for checking back into The Clinic today. I agree with you about Otis. I'm no expert on American Idol and similar shows because I avoid them. From what I've seen and heard, however, modern artists who perform covers of songs made famous by 60s R&B legends like James Brown and Otis Redding are missing the mark. They produce a sound that is too smooth, refined and mannered. Purists (and I know you're one of us) prefer authentic raw, gritty, unpolished performances such as the one seen here by Mr. Pitiful. Thanks so much for the fly-by, Blue Bird, and have a swell day up your way!

      Delete
  2. Shady I known I keep saying it But these last posts about the Soul Clinic are the best. This is like a time machine trip back to the mid. 60"s, the memories have not stoped rushing into my head. The Sat. mornings in down town York with my friends, every one from all around York would come in town to shop and to socialize, this is were you would met your friends and find out weant was going on for the week end, It was like our idea of face book. Back then town would get packed on Sat.s . We would shop for a new shrit and get our wing tips polished and every one would have a small bag with there new 45"s in. York was all about music and the bands playing at the Oaks. I remember how we used to share 45"s and just sit in our rooms playing them over and over. I remember a bus trip a friend and I went on to N.Y. city to see the car show,we went with the York sports car club and spent most of the day walking the N.Y. streets, we saw a bar with a lot of people standing on the side walk so we went to see what was going on. We got to the door and it was wide open and inside above the bar on a stage was the great Gene Krupa. These ara just a couple of the memories your blog has helped me revist. Keep up the great work and the word about the Dell will keep reaching around the world A Dell Rat All Ways Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comments, Greg! I remember those Saturdays in Old York. My grandfather owned Terry's Men's Wear near the square. Remember that store? I loved the sights, sounds and smells. I can still smell the hot roast peanuts at that nut shop. Strolling around downtown York on a Saturday was like going to the fair. It was also, as you noted, our early version of Facebook and other social networking media because you ran into all your friends. I'm so glad you're enjoying the memories shared by the guys of The Soul Clinic. There's much more to come, good buddy. We're not even half finished with this exciting series, so please come back on Wednesday for more great music and memories from The Soul Clinic!

      Delete
  3. Shady Let me add a BIG thank you to all the guys from Soul Clinic and to Dave Bupp for every thing they have added to help you write these grear stories. Thanks to you all A Dell Rat All Ways Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's more Dave Bupp commentary still to come in the series, so stay tuned, Greg!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Greg for adding to the narrative. This was our life and it is so much fun to go back and take stock. I am proud of Yorks contribution to the youth music scene of the 60's as it still has power today. We took our music around the world and it has come back in so many wonderful ways. Ive gotten emails from England France and Germany telling me how mush they still love So Sharp,and requesting info from our days in the band. Cant ask for more than that.

      Delete
  4. More great memories. I lived about a half block away from Ron Serale on Duke St. Played pool and basketball with Ernie Banks and went to school with Cheeks Schlosser. Always enjoyed the Oaks before heading to the Dell.

    Great Post!!!! Jerre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jerre! I remember you telling us about Ernie Banks three years ago and I figured you knew some of these other guys, too. C'mon back Wednesday for more fun and more memories in Part 5!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed this little time capsule, Shady! I'm in awe of the amount of work - time and effort - that you've poured into this project. But I can tell it's a labor of love, and we, who weren't quite aware of the music scene back then, have been able to take a fascinating trip back with first hand accounts. Great job!
    And PS: Keith Olbermann indeed. Didn't he get fired? I can handle the opposing viewpoints, but the man's a little hater. I don't like mean, disrespectful people no matter what their politics - and there are plenty to go around on both sides, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, karen! Thank you very much for coming by, dear friend! Yes, this colossal series is/was a labor of love. I realize that this particular music scene is largely unknown to you because it played itself out before your time and 3,000 miles from the place that you call home. I very much admire you for showing your support of the series regardless. In this modern era it's easy to click a link and instantly add somebody to your "friends" column; but how many people are willing to hang in there and work to identify common ground when their differences become apparent? Not many, I dare say, because it's human nature to seek out and befriend people who are in your camp and agree with you. Where's the learning potential in that? Where's growth potential? You and I realized early on that we hold differing views. To our credit, that has not stopped us from being friends. I like you, karen. I respect you. I defend your right to live life according to your own beliefs. You and I are living proof that people can accept, tolerate, like and even love people with opposing viewpoints. In so doing we are part of the global solution. Thank you again for being here today, dear karen, and have a very pleasant evening out there on the coast!

      Delete
  6. I remember Ernie Banks as the man who bummed the most Marlboros from me over a period of years. Even though I quit smoking over 13 years ago, I wish he were still around. I'd go out and buy him a pack. Can't say anything bad about him.
    I'm finally beginning to recall Alan Shue.
    Dave Bupp was my mentor. I will always remember his music lessons at the Disc-O-Rama, the Oaks, everywhere. What was going on, who was going on. When I was 16, I drove by myself to the Howard Theater in D.C. to see Otis Redding. While waiting for the current show to finish, I walked in through the stage door and found Billy Butler's dressing room (Jerry Butler's younger brother), and talked with him while Otis was finishing his show. Billy and I knew people in common---Dave Bupp, and others of the Del-Chords. That's how connected the music scene was in those days. I was one of the few white boys in that whole area. No big deal to anyone! Great days!
    I knew Larry by sight for some time, seeing him at most of the dances, the Oaks, Rock 180 Clubs, either playing drums or with his other love, Anita. The perfect couple. Everyone knew them by sight. I was surprised after a couple years to hear they had broken up. I knew it had to hurt and never asked for details.
    Larry was at the 'Disc' as well as other band members and fans of bands. Eventually we got to know each other and he asked me if I wanted to go along with him to State College. He was going along with the Del-Chords, who were playing for a frat party. Of course, I said "yes". We would be getting back late, I wouldn't have to drive, could I stay at his place? I didn't know his Mom yet.
    When we met to make our connection to ride along with the band, Larry told me his Mom said "no", but something would work out.
    I believe Larry didn't play, but Jeff Hildebrand did. Vince Bowen was singing with the Del-Chords at that time. I asked him at the party if he could put me up when we got back to York. He said I'd have to sleep on his floor. I said "That's okay, as long as it's carpeted." He said it was. It wasn't carpeted, but the floor was clean, it had one of those homemade, thick throw rugs, and he tossed me a warm blanket. He didn't have a lot--he shared what he had. He cared. I slept like a baby.
    Musicians and music lovers, just seemed to really like people. If you had "the feeling" that was all that mattered. I think we all mattered to each other. Greg, you painted the picture well.
    Thank you, everybody, for those times, and for resurrecting the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stuff, Dell Rat Ron! You were a lot like Larry Smith back then. You often found yourself the lone white kid at black venues and felt right at home among black music makers and black music lovers. It all seemed so natural to guys like you and Larry. Why did so many others go out of their way to maintain a racial barrier back then and even now? I suppose we'll still be asking that question a hundred years from now. Thank you for sharing some of your own recollections of Dave Bupp, the Oaks, Ernie, Larry, etc., and stay with us for Parts 5 through 9 of the exciting Soul Clinic saga. See you Wednesday, good buddy!

      Delete
  7. you amaze me my friend, You are my go to for music nostalgia. Pardon my grammar.... but you gotta have soul man, giggle xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katie! I'm so glad you stopped by to sample some soul with me and The Clinic. Five big chapters of their story remain and I hope you'll be here for the fun. Thank you very much for your visit and comment, dear Katie, and have a great week!

      Delete
  8. Ron's comment about Ernie Banks really got me laughing. I don't believe Ernie ever bought a cigarette in his life, but smoked two or three packs a day. OPs as we called them. You were lucky Ron if he just bummed smokes. I remember Ernie crooning Misty at the Cue Lounge on North George about a block from the Ramona. Taling about a social gathering, the Ramona was also a hot spot.
    Jerre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite a cigarette bummer myself, Jerre. At the Dell I also hit on the same guy every night for a swig or two of the "cough syrup" that he carried in a flask his vest pocket. I poured a little into my cherry coke and it worked wonders soothing my scratchy throat. I don't think I ever ate a meal at the Ramona before 11 at night, did you? (LOL) Thanks for the follow-up, Jerre, and BOLO for Part 5 tomorrow morning!

      Delete
    2. The guys in the Clinic almost always ate at Christophers post gig, just across the street from the Ramona. I was young so I always got milk with my meal and got crap from the other guys..lol. Mike spent 20 minutes preparing his baked potato with mounds of butter,sour cream and salt and pepper. We all would just sit and watch him work on it and then try to grab a bite when he wasnt looking. I think I got stabbed with a fork more than once.

      Delete
    3. Milk with your meal, Little D? You were a little angel... then and now! :)

      Delete
  9. It was rare to go to the Cue Lounge without seeing some of the Del-Chords or other bands there. Regarding the Ramona, lunch on a Saturday or after the Oaks was my usual time frame. A girlfriend turned me on to their lime rickeys and egg and olive salad sandwiches. Later, when Christopher's opened, it became the #1 spot. I don't recall anything as much fun as Rick, Mike and the guys with Mike's baked potatoes, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about those egg and olive salad sands at the Ram. I remember performing a ritual similar to Mike's only with mashed potatoes. I carved at them with a fork for 20 minutes until they formed an exact scale model of Devil's Tower, Wyoming! Never did figure out why I was compelled to do that.

      Delete
  10. Hi Shady. Like Karen above, I'm totally in awe of the amount of work you have put into these interviews. Quite amazing! Also incredible to think that Larry was playing the drums with them at age 11! His mum was very wise to appoint a legal guardian, and great that he came across that Memoir after all these years. Love Mr Pitiful by Otis Reading. You might remember that my younger daughter's stepson, now age 15, was named after him. Take care my dear friend .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, Thisisme, it's the middle of the night in England and I am surprised and delighted to find that you visited me, dear friend! I hope you are feeling better and are in good spirits these days. Yes, Larry Smith had some incredible experiences in his youth, didn't he? In the first four chapters we've been laying the groundwork and introducing the cast of characters. In the five episodes that follow you will travel with the band and vicariously experience their adventures and misadventures. I thank you very much for thinking of me and making time to read and comment, dear Thisisme. Please take good care of yourself. We're all thinking about you!

      Delete
  11. What a great post! It was so interesting how Larry got his break with Don and the Wonders and also the Del-Chords. Sometimes if someone is sick or can't go on stage it can give a talented person a chance to be seen. It is amazing he was so good at such a young age.

    How wonderful Voni Grimes is doing well and enjoying life at 90! He still works out! That is fantastic. I will go and check out his book. I love the title and I love reading memoirs. You can learn so much from a person's life.

    'Your Mommy Lied to Your Daddy' has sad words, but what a cool song. I loved it. I also loved the group shots of Soul Clinic, especially the outdoor one. Very nice. And wasn't David Ruffin kind to everyone? Lovely to have such good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Belle! Thank you very much for your interest in the guys of The Soul Clinic and the people who performed with them and influenced them. Larry certainly was a prodigy. The fact that he traveled with an adult black band at age 12 in the city of York is one of the most eyebrow raising revelations of the series. Larry's life story is a lot like A Star is Born. He got opportunities to fill in for regular players, seized those opportunities and made the most of them. Please write a mini review if you read Voni's book. Thank you again, dear Belle, for your time, your comments and for being a great friend!

      Delete
    2. Hi Belle...I'm so glad you've enjoyed our stories. Hey, ya know, I couldn't make this stuff up. It's AMAZING what happened to me at 11 and 12. I'm so flattered Shady, but I was certainly not a prodigy! My ability was a gift from God (via my family genes), the guidance and support of my family encouraging me, and I LOVED to play!

      And Voni? When we spoke on the phone for the first time in 50 years this past March, we spoke for an hour... and many tears were shed. I met him in April and we went to the 60s Something Dance at the York Fairgrounds. I'm hoping to drive to York soon to hang with Voni, Buck & Erwin Generett (We spoke on the phone recently but I haven't seen Erwin in 50 yrs!!)

      Voni doesn't have a computer so I have printed the series for him to look at. I want him to see everyone's kind comments. Thank you all...Love - LARRY

      Delete
  12. I am SO glad you clued me in, my friend, that I had missed this post. It would have been very upsetting to me had I not found it. I'll never understand the vagaries of blogger, but she is a tempermental little creature, isn't she?

    This was a gold mine, a true gold mine. Voni B. Grimes? Wow!!!! Completely amazing. I want to read his memoirs while I am off this summer. I am also going to print out a picture of his 90 year old guns and paste them to the wall in our exercise room. Good grief- all I can do is shake my head at how awesome he is!

    It was also fascinating to read about the encounters with the Temptations. I love those behind the scene, first hand accounts. A mink blanket? Now that is the lap of luxury.

    I think you have enough great material not just for a book, but for a documentary. I hope you will consider it, and I think it would not only appeal to the baby boomer market, but to music lovers all over.

    A gem of a post I'm so glad I didn't miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shelly, this comment means the world to me and I'm so glad I checked back and found it. I admit that I was a "Doubting Thomas" - worried that maybe you had lost interest. You are a valued friend and I'd hate to lose you. I agree there is a wealth of information conveyed in this series. As you can tell by the length of this post and others, the series could easily have been a 20-parter. Voni Grimes is an inspiration to everyone. You and I are on the fitness track at this stage of our lives and I am confident that we will still be going strong at age 90, just like Voni. You want me to write a book and Jenny's urging me to make a movie. (LOL) You are both special for giving me this vote of confidence. Thanks again, dear Shelly, for being the complete blogger and the complete friend!

      Delete
    2. Good morning Shelly!

      Thanks for keeping up with Shady's MEGABLOG!

      You know, I really didn't get to know Voni well when I was 12. That year and a half seemed to go by so quickly. But everyone in town seemed to know him and treated him with respect. Blacks AND whites. And I mean politicians, police chiefs, pastors, businessmen...As I got older, I found out how much of a positive impact he has had on his community and the world. Voni is a wise and gentle man. I am so proud that he considers me a friend. (Get his Memoirs; you'll be very pleased!)

      Best regards,

      Larry Smith

      Delete

You talkin' to me?