CLOSE YOUR EYES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. OPEN YOUR HEART.

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR

SHADY DEL KNIGHT, ADMINISTRATOR
High School Yearbook Photo

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight

"More than a place, the Shady Dell was and will forever remain a state of mind." Shady Del Knight
HELLO STRANGER ... IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY LONG TIME!

Friday, November 16, 2012

Beyond the Happy Valley of the Dolls!



 KELLY MacNAMARA: 


 WHEN DOES ANY PARTY START? 

 WHEN YOU GET THERE! 


 CREAM 

In mid September of 1967 I arrived at the main campus of Penn State University to commence four years of higher learning. Turned out to be four years of high and yearning... yearning to get back home to the Dell! One of the first things I learned was a new word: jammy. A jammy was an open invitation dance on campus and I attended one the very first weekend. The rec hall in which it was held was jammed with collegians dancing to records. A couple of weeks later I was invited to a very different type of happening - a fraternity party. I was eager to find out if Delta house was anything like My Della Ratta.


It was at that Greek orgy... a wild-and-woolly toga party
at an off campus fraternity house, that I first listened and danced to Disraeli Gears, the latest album by Cream, the British psychedelic blues band made up of Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. "Strange Brew," "Sunshine of Your Love" and three other album tracks burned a hole in my soul that night. The party was an eerie spectacle. Strobe lights flashed, shedding the only available light on a basement dance floor that was flooded at least an inch deep in beer. Dark as it was in that cavern I wasn't about to remove my shades because they looked cool and I felt cool wearing them. (I wear my sunglasses at night.) Incense & pepper-
mints
permeated the musky atmosphere. I watched in awe as a couple of toga clad Belushis "swam" across the floor through the suds! Strange brew, indeed! I realized wasn't in Kansas anymore. In that pit of pleasure a band called Cream transported me to a "World of Pain."

 "World of Pain" - Cream (album track from Disraeli Gears
 November 1967) 



"I Feel Free" is the best way to describe the sensation that swept over me at that rowdy Greek frat bash. As I listened to "Tales of Brave Ulysses" I experienced the same sense of freedom and liberation that I had two years earlier the first time I crossed the threshold of the Shady Dell.

 "Tales of Brave Ulysses" - Cream (album track from 
 Disraeli GearsNovember 1967) 



The song "Swlabr" ("She Walks Like A Bearded Rainbow") was typical of the mindbending lyrics found on Disraeli Gears. The top 40 umbilical to which I had clung for so many years was severed forever that night. With wall-to-wall bodies gyrating to the psyched out sounds of that Brit blues band and with all manner of mischief and mayhem taking place, the smoky, liquored-up subterranean lair of that frat house resembled
a scene from Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls!

 "Swlabr" - Cream (album track from Disraeli Gears
 November 1967) 





 THE CARRIE NATIONS 


 THIS IS NOT A SEQUEL. 

 THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT. 

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, the 1970 cult classic co-written by Chicago Sun Times movie critic Roger Ebert, centered around a fictional female rock trio called the
Carrie Nations, a name bestowed upon them by the Phil Spectorish young record producer Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell.


The actresses who portrayed the Carrie Nations rocked the look but lacked singing talent. Vocals for the girl group were therefore provided by Lynn Carey and Barbara Robinson and dubbed in on the soundtrack. Throughout the film the Carrie Nations performed songs that captured the essence of the trippy psychedelic scene that was Hollywood in the late 60s.

If there's one motion picture, one soundtrack that instantly flashes me back to that time, makes every cell in my body come alive and makes me feel young, this is the one.

 THE WORLD IS FULL OF THEM, 

 THE SUPER-OCTANE GIRLS 

 WHO ARE OLD AT TWENTY... 

 IF THEY GET TO BE TWENTY! 


 "Find It' - Carrie Nations (June 1970, 
 motion picture soundtrack Beyond the Valley of the Dolls



 COME WITH THE GENTLE PEOPLE 

 SPREAD LOVE ACROSS THE LAND 

 COME WITH THE GENTLE PEOPLE 

 WE'RE THE ONLY ONES 

 WHO UNDERSTAND 


 "Come With the Gentle People" - Carrie Nations (June 1970, 
 motion picture soundtrack Beyond the Valley of the Dolls



 BEHOLD THE WORLD OF 

 THE BIZARRE AND BEAUTIFUL. 

 IN A SCENE LIKE THIS 

 YOU GET A CONTACT HIGH. 


 "Sweet Talkin' Candy Man" - Carrie Nations (June 1970, 
 motion picture soundtrack Beyond the Valley of the Dolls




 YOU'VE GONE DOWN, SO FAR DOWN 

 NOW WHEN YOU TURN AROUNNND 

 LOOK ON UP, AT THE BOTTOM 

 LOOK ON DOWN, AT YOUR LUCK 


 "Look on Up at the Bottom" - Carrie Nations (June 1970, 
 motion picture soundtrack Beyond the Valley of the Dolls



 DAZZLED BY THE GLITZ AND GLAMOUR 

 OF LA-LA LAND AND HER ROCK BAND'S 

 METEORIC RISE IN POPULARITY, 

 KELLY MacNAMARA DISTANCES 

 HERSELF FROM HARRIS ALLSWORTH, 


 HER BENIGN BOY SCOUT 

 BOYFRIEND FROM BACK HOME. 

 IN THE LONG RUN... WHO 

 WILL WIN KELLY'S HEART? 

 WILL SHE O.D. ON THE SHALLOW 

 SO-CAL LIFESTYLE AND GO 

 RUNNING BACK TO HARRIS? 

 WILL SHE BE CHARMED BY THE 

 HANDSOME, SMUG, ARROGANT, 


 SUPERFICIAL, SELF ABSORBED 

 BOY TOY LANCE ROCKE? 

 OR WILL KELLY GET HER 

 WAY-OUT, KOOKY KICKS 

 BRIDGING THE GENERATION 

 GAP IN A DEVIOUS DALLIANCE 


 WITH THAT VILLAINOUS, 

 MERCENARY, LECHEROUS 

 OLD SLIME BALL PORTER HALL? 


 STAY TUNED! 


 THIS TIME THEY'VE REALLY GONE 

 BEYOND..... 

 THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS! 



 IN THE LONG RUN 

 YOU'LL NEED SOMEONE 

 TO TRUST AND COUNT ON 

 SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY 

 IN THE LONG RUN, 

 WILL THERE BE SOMEONE 

 THAT YOU CAN LEAN ON 

 COME A RAINY DAY? 


Have a Shady day!

29 comments:

  1. Cream is quite the experience, no matter when you first heard them, right? I read Eric Clapton's autobiography when it first came out and that was a learning experience for me. Gosh, those folks were/are packed with talent.

    I remember when I first saw the original Valley of the Dolls book. I was maybe 4 or 5 and was just learning to read and thought it would be such a fun thing, to read about so many dolls. My mom quickly took it away from me.

    Thank you for another terrific post, and have a wonderful weekend, friend Shady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shelly! Oh my,(LOL), you were getting an unintended dose of adult education reading Valley of the Dolls. That book and the resulting movie along with Meyer/Ebert's flick Beyond the Valley of the Dolls ("BVD" as it is called in fan circles) are certainly not age appropriate for a child. They are great examples of the revolution that was taking place in moviemaking during the mid and late 60s as a new wave of young directors and actors brought unprecedented realism to the screen and explored themes related to the growing counterculture. Friends like you are hard to find these days, dear Shelly, and I sincerely thank you for being here for me again today. Have a safe and happy weekend!

      Delete
  2. "high and yearning"- you crack me up.
    I cant wait for shots of that toga party to surface on the internet. imagine the scandal ;)

    I'm not very familiar with Cream other than knowing that Eric Clapton was in the band so thanks for the intro to their tunes. I can definitely feel the trippy vine. Something tells me they might have been a little high while recording. Not that I'm judging. As you know I'm a legalize it advocate. Ok, my comment has taken a strange turn. I'll end it by saying have a groovy weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Amber Blue Bird! Knowing how young, hip and sophisticated you are it's nice to know I have the ability to "crack you up." High while recording??? That would be a FIRST in the annals of rock 'n' roll! (LOL) Yessum, I notice your comments usually take a strange turn here on my blog. I like that about you! In contrast, my comments on your blog are always strange right from the start. Thanks so much for coming over, dear friend Amber. I hope you have a fantabulous weekend, too!

      Delete
  3. i meant trippy "vibe" i have to stop letting Oliver sleep on my right arm while i try to type with my left hand. it never ends well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vine...vibe... it's Friday and it's 5'oclock somewhere so who really cares? :) :) :) Please give my buddy Oliver a biscuit and be sure to pet Kevin this weekend, okay? Thanks again, dear Amber, and I'll see you Monday!!!

      Delete
  4. Tom - there you are! You're probably not going to like this, but I was never really into Cream (I know - heresy!!!), although I love Eric Clapton, and still love him now. I suspect they were 'high' on something when they made those recordings. I vaguely remember Valley of the Dolls, but I think it was more of a hit over there in American than here in England. We were still trying to deal with Lady Chatterley's Lover! I did smile at your description of the Greek orgy! Do you still wear your shades at night by the way?!! Have a spiffing weekend myu friend, and look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo, dear Thisisme! If you didn't like Cream did you happen to like Clapton's other bands: the Yardbirds, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Blind Faith, Delaney & Bonnie, Derek & the Dominos or his solo recordings like "I Shot the Sheriff?" If you only vaguely remember Valley of the Dolls is it safe to assume you do not remember Beyond the Valley of the Dolls? It was quite a phenomenon stateside and the cult following continues to expand year by year. I stopped wearing my sunglasses at night right around the time I gave up drinking which was more than 20 years ago. Thank you very much for bringing your cheery disposition across the pond again today, dear Thisisme. I hope you are feeling much better today, my dear friend. Have a fine weekend!

      Delete
  5. A little too trippy for me, man. Although that movie seems like it might be worth watching.

    I've been to a lot of frat parties but never a toga party ... and never one with this type music. The best ones I have to say were with the university's band, particularly the tubas and drum line.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ashton! How's married life treating you? I have to be honest with you. Tubas didn't play a prominent role in that Greek frat bash. I do, however, remember a John Belushi look-alike chugging Rolling Rock from the bell of a sousaphone! (LOL) I don't remember attending any other toga parties after that night. I've never been much of a joiner and soon decided fraternity life wasn't my thing. I withdrew my name from the rush list of several houses that had interested me and elected to build a social life on my own terms. Looking back that was probably a mistake on my part. Anyway, thank you very much for reporting in, dear producer friend. Have a safe and happy weekend and don't work too hard!

      Delete
  6. Good evening Mr. Knight! Like Thisisme, I did not indulge in 'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls', but, truly remember 'Valley of The Dolls', and would watch it again if it should re-appear. It was a compelling story with great actors/actresses. I just couldn't get into the idea of 'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls', fearing that with different actors, and possibly a different storyline, it would not be as good.

    And, too, I was not much into Cream, but love Clapton/The Yardbirds. 'I Shot the Sheriff'is still one of my favorites today. I do like 'Sunshine of Your Love' too, and, when Clapton appears in concert on public TV, I'm there! And, I do remember Delaney & Bonnie and Blind Faith. But, even in 1967, I was still 'soul stompin' and, slowly, slowly, venturing into the psychedelic scene.

    Sounds like your early college years were a riot...and, you lived to tell! Well, I for one, am glad to know you came through with brain cells intact, lol! We all have to learn something the hard way don't we, even if it means wearing a toga and wading thru stale beer! I really like your post, Shady...you are so well versed in all realms of music and, I may just have to see about 'Beyond the Valley of The Dolls'. Speaking of 'food for thought'...have a great 'no sunglasses' weekend. It was good to see you this evening. ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Susan! I think I have two brain cells left! (LOL) Russ Meyer was known as the king of the nudie picture genre. At the time of its release in 1970 his (and Roger Ebert's) movie BVD was considered risque. It starred Playboy playmates and contained a few brief scenes of nudity as well as sexual situations and brief moments of extreme violence. By today's standards, however, it could almost qualify for The Disney Channel. The movie is great fun to watch and I highly recommend it because it captures so well the look and sound of the late 60s SoCal lifestyle. The band Strawberry Alarm Clock appears in the movie. During the late 60s I was torn between my devotion to soul and R&B music that I had come to know and love at the Dell and the new music that was much more popular on campus. In the end rock prevailed and soul evolved into funk, "quiet storm," disco and other forms. I'm so glad you came by, dear friend Susan. Thank you and have a marvelous weekend!

      Delete
  7. Jackpot! I borrowed my daughter's computer for a day or two and the internet connection seems to be lasting long enough I might get to leave a comment that will load! I've so missed your fantabulous blog dear friend. I have to say that usually ThisIsMe and i have similar taste in tunes but today I will say we are out of sync as I have always like Cream. What can I say?
    So happy you are still spinning the tunes and rolling the Juke Box, Tom! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I hope to be back sometime in the not too distant future. Right now we are purchasing renovation materials as opposed to electronic equipment! Santa may just have to shimmy down the chimney with my laptop!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUGS HUGS HUGS, dear Sush! I am so happy to see you, my dear friend! You've been missed. With your roots in New Orleans I'm a bit surprised you like the British blues styling of Clapton and Cream but think it's great that you and I have that in common. Along with "I Shot the Sheriff," another recording by Clapton I wanted to mention here was his version of J.J. Cale's "Cocaine" which made a splash on my local radio station at the time.

      I can sense how excited you are about your home remodeling and I can't wait for you to unveil the new look on your blog. Thank you very very much for coming to see me today, dear friend Sush, and I wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  8. What a coincidence, last night I pulled Disraeli Gears out of my box of records because it had been a while (years!) since I listened to Cream. Reminds me of my childhood, Tale of Brave Ulysses was always my favorite song. Hope you're doing well Shady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Albee! That is quite a coincidence! You are another of my young friends who was born too late. Knowing you like I do I can imagine you as a teenager of the sixties immersed in the San Francisco scene, attending the Monterey Festival, etc. I wish you could have been there. It's groovy that you still own and play vinyl records. Although they might be scratched and worn with frequent clicks and pops, your record albums are like dear old friends. They have the power to transform your mood and transport you to a safer place and time. Thank you very much for your visit and comment, dear friend Alabee. Enjoy your Sunday and the week ahead!

      Delete
  9. Free Bollywood hot News, Bollywood Top Hot Actress and Hot Desi Girls Beautiful hot Pictures.
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tahir sumar - Thanks but no thanks, my friend. After oogling pictures of Dolly Read, Cynthia Myers, Marcia McBroom, Edy Williams, Erica Gavin and Phyllis Elizabeth Davis (remember her from Love, American Style?) I don't think my heart can take any more!

      Delete
  10. As you know I always enjoy my visits to your wonderful blog. But this post is one of my favorites! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katie! My goodness, dear friend, you've aroused my curiosity. What is it about this particular post that makes it one of your favorites? Was it my anecdote about dancing to Cream at Animal House or was it my salute to Beyond the Valley? Whatever it was that tickled your fancy I am very happy to be able to entertain you and I very much appreciate your visit and generous compliment. I wish you a wonderful week ahead, dear friend Katie!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hello, LL! I am so impressed by the fact that you came all the way from New Zealand to share some blog lovin' with me today. Thank you very much, my friend. I appreciate your comment and I hope you will return again soon. Have a great week!

      Delete
  12. Tom, for some reason my comment earleir in the week did not publish, I came back here to read your reply and low and behold! :(

    Anyway, thank you for sharing your partying music memories with us, I love how different songs remind me a certain period of my life! I had heard of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls but I have never seen it, it looks like a feast for the yes! I will try to find it and watch it! There's nothing like a great soundtrack! I'm totally loving the style and hair of Carrie Nations!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Emma! I'm so glad you checked back because your earlier comment did not get published for some reason. Beyond the Valley was remastered and released on DVD a few years ago so it should be very easy for you to find. I hope you watch it because it's loads of fun and flashes you back to an exciting period of American history when flower power and free love were at their peak. As I noted in the text the Playboy playmates who portrayed the Carrie Nations did not do their own singing but you'd never know it thanks to the movie making magic of director Russ Meyer. Thank you very much for being such a great friend, dear Emma! I'm heading to your blog right now!

      Delete
  13. Most Popular and Famous Vehicles, Latest Speed Cars, Sports Cars Info and Pictures.
    worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Latest Hot Current Affairs, Entertainment News, Pictures, Videos, Latest Hot News updates, Business News, Online Marketing, Online Jobs, Mp3 Tunes, Latest Ringtones, Bollywood Girls, Entertainment Girls, Hot Girls and Most popular Affairs in the World
    Daily News updates about Latest and Hot Current Affairs
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best Beautiful Cars, Latest Hot Vehicles, Strange Cars, Super Cars Model, Funny Cars, Car Latest Models, Cars with Girls, Cars like helicopter and Most Speed and Expensive Cars
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Social Media Marketing is a very easy way for Marketing and Advertising, Now you can Get Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Favorites, Youtube Views,Subscribes,Likes, Google Plus Followers, Stumbleupon Followers, Digg Followers, Websites Visitors and Much More.
    Just Visit the Website and Start Promoting now without any Charges
    GetLikeFast.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Latest Hot Current Affairs, Entertainment News, Pictures, Videos, Latest Hot News updates, Business News, Online Marketing, Online Jobs, Mp3 Tunes, Latest Ringtones, Bollywood Girls, Entertainment Girls, Hot Girls and Most popular Affairs in the World
    Daily News updates about Latest and Hot Current Affairs
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete

You talkin' to me?